ibuprofen and WLS

Catherine-Mo
on 1/17/15 1:45 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I am considering weight loss surgery but when I get my period I have bad cramps and only ibuprofen seems to relieve them.  I have tried tramadol and tylenol with codeine and it doesn't work for me.  I know that with gastric bypass you can't have ibuprofen.  Is that the same with the sleeve?  I am 45 and don't want to go on birth control pills but I am desperate to have surgery.  Any suggestions? 

Gwen M.
on 1/17/15 9:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The ASMBS recommends that we don't use NSAIDs regardless of surgery type. This might be worth asking your OBGYN and surgeon about. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Han Shot First
on 1/17/15 10:05 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Before surgery, when I would get headaches, only Motrin would help.  I could take close to dangerous amounts of Tylenol, and it wouldn't do anything.  After surgery, just a max of two Tylenol wipe out any headaches I have.  Hopefully, if you decide to go ahead with it, you'll experience a change like this also.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

MsBatt
on 1/18/15 1:54 am

You need to understand how NSAIDs work. No matter how they get into your bloodstream, they act the same, and one thing they do is thin the mucosal lining of your digestive tract. For some people, this means they allow the stomach's own acid to cause damage. Other people can take them by the handful with no ill effects.

The RNY creates a huge, blind, remnant stomach that can still get ulcers but can't be 'scoped. This is the main reason that most surgeons tell their RNY/gastric bypass patients 'never again' re NSAIDs.

Some surgeons tell ALL their WLS patients that, too, either because they're really, really cautious, really, really lazy, or don't understand the reasoning behind the rules. (Surgeons are trained to cut and sew people. Nutrition, drug actions, etc. are NOT their strong suit, nor should it be.)

If you've ever had an ulcer or any sort of GI bleed, you should NEVER take NSAIDs. If you haven't, then you need to weigh the pros and cons and make your own informed decision.

11 years ago I chose the Ds (which has a Sleeved stomach) because I knew that I would always need NSAIDs, daily. I have taken the maximum daily dose of Aleve every single day since I was one month post-op, and I have have had zero problems from it. On the other hand, my mom, a non-op, gets gastric distress if she takes more than one dose in 10 days.

Valerie G.
on 1/18/15 2:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What Ms. Batt said .

If you need NSAIDS, the sleeve and DS are the two options for wls.  Even with them, you must be cautious to not abuse NSAIDS, for the smaller stomach has little room to hold ulcers.

With the RNY, one-time use can be disasterous for some.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/15 3:34 am - OH

What Ms Batt and Val said.  If you already know that you rely on Ibuprofen on a regular basis and that the Tramadol/Ultram (the most typical pain reliever prescribed in lieu of NSAIDs), you would probably be better off with the sleeve.  

Some people periodically take NSAIDs after RNY with no problems, but others ahve gotten an ulcer from just a single dose (or just a couple).  An ulcer in the blind, remnant stomach after RNY is difficult to treat and might require surgery to resolve.  Not a risk I am willing to take!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JenniPenny
on 1/18/15 1:44 pm - MN

I had RNY and with my surgeon's ok I use Advil. I don't use it often, only when needed, take it only with food and I'm fine. I've been doing it for about 12 or 13 yrs. I'm 14 yrs post op RNY. My surgeon ok's it and said when the new gel forms of Nsaids came out many docs reversed their "no nsaids" rule for post op RNY patients. It's a tried and true thing. If you've had ulcers you shouldn't chance it without your docs ok. Most post op RNY patients don't have any problems taking it with restrictions. For some with chronic pain and/or inflammation they have to take Advil or other anti inflammatory product. It works for me, I use it regularly and have for a long time. I've been fine, no ulcers, no stomach problems and my doc says it's fine. If you do take it and develop stomach pain, see your doc.

Jen RNY 2001

NYMom222
on 1/19/15 10:29 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I took Motrin regularly. I have Arthritis and headaches etc. I just stopped and have been managing with the occasional Tylenol and a hot epsom salt bath. I never thought I could do without them... but I am doing well with it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active