what did you have during your first two weeks? re protein.

bonkers-1952
on 4/24/15 5:52 pm

Hi, Wonderful support group I am just wanting to cross my ts and dot my Is. I am going in

for the sleeve in 3 days YIKES! So nervous. I have a lot of commodities, but I am sure they know what they are doing.

There will not be a lot of help when I am home. What helped you survive your first 2 weeks. I have unjury chicken broth.

jello, unflavoured whey powder, can I have watered-down cream soup? What is protein coffee…thank you sooo much in advance.

Dan1962
on 4/24/15 8:46 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Your surgeon and nutritionist should have given you an outline that is very specific about what and how much you can have.  Soup was not on my list nor was coffee.  The first couple of weeks was all protein shakes, water, popsicles, more water, jello, did I mention water, oh and water.

christinerocks
on 4/24/15 10:05 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Ditto to Dan1962. Please check with your surgeons office for their specific plan, because they do vary.  I was only allowed protein shakes and clear liquids in my first 2 weeks, but the Unjury Chicken Soup protein is included in that protein shake category.  Love those!  The hardest thing is to get all your water/fluids in but that's the top focus, flowed closely by the protein grams.  Don't worry about the fillers like jello and pops.  I bought a ton of these using my pre-surgery appetite as a guide and, well, I didn't need the quantity!  

I'm still brand new, only 19 days since surgery, but it's the greatest thing I have ever done for myself, no doubt. Put your nerves to rest ano put your trust in your surgical team. Best wishes on surgery and see you on the losers bench! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Gwen M.
on 4/25/15 3:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely ask your surgeon for this information.  

In my first two weeks post-op, I was on full liquids.  I had my protein shake, sugar free popsicles, and strained and pureed soup.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/15 5:48 am - OH

Yeah, you need to find out what is on YOUR surgeon's plan, because there is no one universal plan.  Some surgeons require liquids and/or purées for an entire month, while MY surgeon's plan had us start soft foods on Day Three and to advance to solid food week two (so I had scrambled eggs and oatmeal before I even left the hospital (4 days because I had open surgery) and then before the end of week two, I had advanced to eating tuna, cheese, and even a baked buffalo chicken chunk.)

Most people seen to be allowed watered down cream soups during the first couple of weeks BUT many commercially prepared ones are high in fat, so they might not be a good choice.  Chicken or beef broth or stock (stock has more flavor and more protein) are better choices than creamed soups.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bonkers-1952
on 4/25/15 10:27 am

Thanks, I have a plan from my hospital but it seemed more focused on the rny. There are so many versions and so many differant plans. I was just

wanted to know what worked for some of you. I thanks you for your advice and time. It was useful. I kinda feel not so overwhelmed.

NYMom222
on 4/25/15 11:36 am
RNY on 07/23/14

My surgeon gives the same plan for RNY and VSG. I was on creamed soup, yogurt, cottage cheese 5 days out and eggs before the 2 weeks was up. There are Coffee/Mocha flavored protein drinks. My favorite are Fit frappe and Click. The ready to Drink Premier Protein drink are good because they aren't thick and are easier to get down especially in the beginning...they also have 30g protein. Sometimes I add a squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup and some instant coffee to it to make it Mocha. SF Popsicles and peppermint Tics tacs were my saviors in the beginning. The Popsicles because it gave me something refreshing and solid, and the Tic Tacs helped with nausea. I just bit them and let them melt in my mouth. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bonkers-1952
on 4/25/15 2:56 pm

Thanks NYMom This helps me a lot. The tic tacs sounds good. Where did you get the premier protein drink? Instant coffee awesome!

NYMom222
on 4/26/15 11:59 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You can get cases of the Premier at Costco, Sams and BJ's... they also sell 4-packs at Walmart. Adding small amounts of Torani and daVinci sugar free syrups help to give you different flavors too....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poplargreys
on 4/25/15 12:50 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

My first day home, I used an Isopure RTD and watered it down 50/50 with plain water and drank that over the course of the day - 40 grams of protein in clear liquid form. Homemade chicken broth (my favorite 'meal' during the clear liquid days). Once I moved to full liquids, I consumed lots of dairy - cottage cheese, ricotta, string cheese, fresh mozzarella, fairlife milk. Soft scrambled eggs with cheese and milk. Refried beans with cheese. My group strongly suggests using natural food sources instead of protein drinks/powders if at all possible, but I did have half a Premier Protein shake a few times to bump up my protein intake on the few day that I've had a hard time adhering to my eating schedule and fallen behind.

Most Active