Not getting my protein in

tiredofthediets
on 5/19/15 4:13 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Just about two months out and not getting my protein in. I'm trying SO hard. Here's what I had today. 

B-half a slice of peanut butter and banana toast  (don't normally eat bread, just needed something diff.)

S-cheese tick and 1 chunk of watermelon 

L-leftover cauliflower pizza and 1 chunk of watermelon 

S-slice of lunch meat ham and cheese

D-chicken w mushrooms and squash (1/2 c maybe)

I'M still just not always eating 1/2 cup and I don't want to have to sprinkle protein powder on everything for the rest of my life or do a protein shake every day.  Suggestions?

rocky513
on 5/19/15 4:37 pm - WI

Most of what you posted is not high in protein.  You are only two months out and have very limited space in your new stomach.  You need to be making higher protein choices,  ditch the banana, bread, and peanut butter ( that's A LOT of carbs).  Eat a greek yogurt or scrambled egg, or a protein shake for breakfast.  Watermelon is a high sugar fruit.  Fruits should be limited while you are in the losing phase.  Fruit will slow or stop your weight loss. Right now, your focus needs to be protein.  Skip the veggies for a while until you can successfully meet your protein goals.  You are wasting valuable stomach space on stuff you don't really need. If you are taking your vitamins, you won't have to worry about not getting enough nutrition.  You can't get protein from a vitamin, so you need to make it your priority right now.  Cheese, no sugar added Greek yogurt, lunch meat, tuna, eggs, ricotta and marinara, cottage cheese are good choices.

Right now, you need to drink the shakes to meet your protein goal.  You will get to a point where it will be easier to eat more protein and you will be able to give up the shakes.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

tiredofthediets
on 5/19/15 4:46 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

That's what I figured someone would tell me. I'm just sick of all of those things. I'm yogurt and protein shaked out! But I know I need to do what's best for my health right now!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/19/15 5:05 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You might want to check out what other people who've had RNY are eating on this daily thread.

Have you tried beef jerky?  Some of it is high in protein and low in carbs, but be sure to check the nutritional label.   It looks like you're eating too much fruit.  Since the real estate in your pouch is limited, it's best to get the protein in first before you go afield.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 5/19/15 6:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Your snack of lunch meat and cheese looks good!  Otherwise, you definitely need to be making better protein choices.  Fish, chicken, cow, pig, etc.  Prioritize those - yeah, it's a boring diet in the beginning.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 5/19/15 6:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Unfortunately for the first 6 months it is mostly protein and an occasional veggie. Only had the rare starch like once every 2 weeks and maybe fruit once or twice a week in the beginning... it gets easier the further you get out. I still do a protein shake everyday... and plan to for quite awhile, otherwise it is just too hard to get all the protein in. I kept trying flavors... also your taste buds keep changing ... things I hated at 2 months I drink all the time now. I have made peace with it... I find it easiest to have it for breakfast. Although when it is hot on the summer I don't think I would mind having it in the afternoon.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cheapskate
on 5/19/15 10:26 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I am 7 weeks out. Things I eat are:

refried beans with cheese(12g)

LOVE eggfaces ricotta bake (10G)

Tortilla chicken soup from Costco(11g per cup)

Beanless turkey chili(5.5 g per 1/2 c)

Fairlife milk (13 g per cup)

maybe some of those will spark your interest!

christinerocks
on 5/20/15 4:25 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I'm right behind you, time wise, so I'm no expert. But the protein shakes are the ONLY way for me to get the protein in right now. So i do them, and I don't don't eat anything without protein until I've hit my minimum grams. Generally it's protein all day until dinner, when i can have a little veggie.  I won't have fruit until I can get these in regularly. 

Though I really try to stay away from packed and processed stuff, look for turkey or chicken meatballs... I have found some that offer 14 -16 g or protein for 3 mini meatballs. Add a spoon of marinara and 1/2 oz melted part skim mozzarella on top and you are getting close to 20g protein in a meal.  This number is my nut's target for me, per meal, but doesn't expect me to get there until I'm closer to 3-4 months out. (It's a volume question.)

oh, and another protein to try: unjury Chicken Soup, or Bariatric Advantage veggie soup.  There are others both both of those are 20g protein each and are a welcome change from the shakes!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Maria27
on 5/20/15 8:12 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I went without protein shakes for a couple of weeks, but it was really hard. I wasn't able to eat anything that wasn't protein. Now I drink half a premier protein a day, and this allows me to eat things like a few berries, very minimal veggies, and lower protein cheeses, like cream cheese (but not all in the same day). Otherwise, my diet is mostly meat, cheese, nuts, seeds, and yogurt.

Have you ever tried hemp seeds? I mix them into my yogurt for a protein boost without adding much volume. 1 tbsp has 3 g protein. Another thing you could do is add a glass of skim milk, but beware that milk is high in carbs. If you are going to go that route, you should consider cutting back on the other carbs in your diet. If you really don't want to do the protein shake, then you will probably have to skip everything you are eating except the meat and cheese.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

emelar
on 5/20/15 8:34 am - TX

For the first 6 months, I barely looked at a vegetable. No fruit.  No bread.  If it didn't a fair amount of protein in it, it didn't go in my mouth.  Protein shakes, meat, cheese, and various condiments was it.  Yes, it's boring, but it's not forever.

If you need different flavors, google "world according to eggface" and "bariatric foodie."  It's 2 blogs from WLS patients who have many, many recipes and ideas.  Shelley/Eggface has the recipe for the ricotta bake and eggbites.  Bariatric Foodie/Nik has the best taco casserole recipe.  Mix it up so your taste buds are satisfied.

Most Active