Progress Report

glady
on 8/16/15 1:22 pm

Like i wrote on a previous post, i just had my one year post op appointment even though its been way over a year. Surgeon and nutritionist are very happy with my results. Went from 280 at my highest to my current weight at 173. My body seems to like where I am because the scale won't budge even after increased exercise! Oh well I'm comfortable and consistent weight means i can try to get panniculectomy covered by my insurance. 

The best part of loosing weight has been the freedom and confidence i have. I feel like I no longer stand out in a crowd. I can go shopping any where and have alot more stamina. I can walk for miles without any pain and go up three flights of stairs without needing to stop half way. My body really did feel like it was suffocating me. I'm in my 20's but i felt like an old lady. Now i feel my age for the first time since elementary school. It just feels great to not be morbidly obese. That simple. 

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that weight loss really hasn't helped with my depression physiologicaly. I do have alot more options for coping mechanisms like walking helps alot. But the incidents of major depressive episodes are still the same. The severity also hasn't changed. I was really hoping that my psychological disorder was caused or aggravated by the obesity. All that extra fat caused alot of hormonal imbalance to where i wasn't getting my period. Now my period is regular but not my depression. It was just a big surprise. I always thought i was depressed because of my weight but now i think i was overweight because of my depression. Not to worry. I'm still working on it with my therapist and PCP. With the meds i take now i can manage a little better but now my therapist is thinking I might be bipolar. So there's that challange. 

At least now that I'm healthy i can enjoy the time between my depression alot more which i thank God for. Living for the good times helps me get through the bad. 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/16/15 1:26 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I had to respond to you because we had our surgery one day apart!  Congratulations on your success so far. 

I am sorry you feel depressed at times.  I have no advice, but I hope that it improves for you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MickeyDee
on 8/16/15 1:42 pm

Hurrah for your progress!  I have a friend who suffered from Bi-Polar disease, and it took her a long time to get her meds right, but the right combination was eventually found and her life is SOOO much better.  

Hang in there and enjoy your new life.

Jenn77p
on 8/17/15 11:34 am
RNY on 08/07/15

CongrAts on your success. My daughter is diagnosed bipolar also. Just remember when u have a bad day it's temporary and try to work through it. Try to think of the positives in your life. I know when my daughter has a depressive episode she gets very negative. Write a list of things that make u happy. When you feel down try and do some of those things. I know u have to push yourself to do things during these times but at least try. Sometimes it's ok to just sit and cry. Just please don't sit and cry all day. Cry, then do something that makes you happy. Best of luck!!!  

Jenn 77 p

Kathy S.
on 8/17/15 1:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active