This is your new job!!!!

Mimoosmom
on 8/19/15 8:19 am, edited 8/19/15 8:23 am
RNY on 12/04/13

Just a little rant!  I have family members and friends who have had WLS and do NOT follow ANY rules.  They wonder why they are gaining weight, why they have no energy, why the get sick so much, etc...  This surgery is a lifelong commitment!!!!  It's not just some easy thing you do to lose weight.  It's a job you have to show up for everyday!!!  You HAVE to take your vitamins,  you HAVE  to get your protein in, you HAVE  to drink your water, you HAVE to exercise, you HAVE to restrict certain foods/meds from your diet, and you HAVE to have follow up with your doctors. There are lifelong consequences from not following the rules.  I guess, as a nurse, I just find this so frustrating and I really worry that people don't think this body altering surgery is a BIG deal.  Rant over...

SkinnyScientist
on 8/19/15 8:41 am

Hospitals should just hire you to give the patients ONE last talk before surgery..where you explain it EXACTLY like this.

As I was discussing with the manager at my gym this morning, people get the weirdest ideas and have the strangest most unrealistic expectations.  And those of us that DO do our homework are left wondering "What did you think?"

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 8/19/15 8:44 am

Oh PS..then these people with unrealistic expectations and NO desire to WORK for their weightloss and use their tool, get penciled into the "failure "column to ultimately be cited by insurance companies in the statistics that support the misguided notion that "WLS does not work". WLS works great...it is the patients and their behaviors which usually fail.

Not that I am perfect...but man...today I am just annoyed by people too.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Kathy S.
on 8/19/15 9:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 9:31 am

As much as I agree with you - i had to learn to stop looking at what others do. 

Same thing can be said about people drinking too much , or diabetic eating more sugar and carbs, because she/he can take extra insulin.. 

or even SMO people and their eating /drinking habits..  lets not forget about smoking.. 

I had to learn to mind my own business... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mimoosmom
on 8/19/15 11:23 am
RNY on 12/04/13

I had a couple of special people that I really love in mind when I wrote this.  I am absolutely not perfect, there are days when I may forget one of my rounds of vitamins. Yes, I might indulge occasionally in something I really shouldn't have.  But these guys truly never take take any supplements and just eat whatever, whenever.  Have I said anything?  Nope, because I am a sweet, polite person.  So, I just needed to rant somewhere.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 11:59 am

I get that...  I am with you on that... but for my own hath and peace of mind.. I had to let go... 

and if a very good friend of mine *****es and complain "why i am not losing weight? I just nod, smile and not say a thing...  I learn to let it go. 

another friend - have a severe IBS - but eats crap... so we no longer go to lunch... and if we do - I don't plan to carpool with her or plan any other activity after - because almost every time she would eat something that will make her really sick... But it is no longer my issue... I let it go... I love her just the way she is... I used to get upset about it, and tried very hard to help her... but at the end - I was more upset about her being sick and in pain than she was...  I learn to let it go... it is better for me and for our friendship.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crystal M.
on 8/19/15 11:04 am - Joliet, IL

It's a shame we have to regard it that way and not just live our lives without giving it a second thought. 

It really is like another job.  I make up my menus.  I make my meals.  I workout.  Do I see everyone else do this...no.  I see people I work with go out to eat every day at unhealthy fast food restaurants and eat crap.  I see people eat crap for dinner all of the time.  I see people do nothing and are never active.  Some of them are over weight.  Some of them aren't (those are the ones I secretly hate!!!). 

But then I think to myself... sure I adhere to this menu.  Go through the trouble of making all my meals.  And drag my sorry Ass to the gym...but hey at least I'm not fat anymore.  I am maintaining.  I am doing pretty good.   If other people want to take this lightly then they will enjoy a couple of years, max of being thin and then they will start to gain again.  Those of us that take it seriously will enjoy many many years of a healthy weight.

Nancy
on 8/25/15 6:12 am - Kasson, MN

I agree that people are just ignorant, yet it is there choice!  As long as you are doing what you need to do for you!   If people ask me what they think, I am boldly honest and tell them u have the tools, you have to use them!

Most Active