So, this is the "head hunger" everyone speaks of..

MelodyMay
on 9/30/15 1:58 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I have been journaling everything that goes into my mouth. I know I'm not hungry or thirsty. I hit my calorie and water intake without issue, but I find myself roaming into the kitchen. I randomly open the fridge and cabinets, not really looking for anything in particular. After a few minutes, I'm defeated and go back to whatever I was doing before. 20 minutes later, I'm back in the kitchen. 

Maybe it's boredom. Maybe it's out of habit. All I know is that I'm still thinking of food, without needing it. That's scary. I hope this is something I can work through and overcome before or relatively quickly after surgery. I'd hate to go through all of this and having major surgery, to ruin it because I can't control my brain. 

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/30/15 2:13 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Could be boredom - what are you doing with all that time that you used to spend preparing food?   Maybe time for a new hobby.

Sharon

hollykim
on 9/30/15 2:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, MelodyMay wrote:

I have been journaling everything that goes into my mouth. I know I'm not hungry or thirsty. I hit my calorie and water intake without issue, but I find myself roaming into the kitchen. I randomly open the fridge and cabinets, not really looking for anything in particular. After a few minutes, I'm defeated and go back to whatever I was doing before. 20 minutes later, I'm back in the kitchen. 

Maybe it's boredom. Maybe it's out of habit. All I know is that I'm still thinking of food, without needing it. That's scary. I hope this is something I can work through and overcome before or relatively quickly after surgery. I'd hate to go through all of this and having major surgery, to ruin it because I can't control my brain. 

yes,this is head hunger

Dan1962
on 9/30/15 4:36 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Take a walk, twiddle your thumbs, thumb wrestle somebody.  That is head hunger!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/30/15 4:51 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you have an eating disorder, food is in your head a lot more than you'd care to admit.  I'm a compulsive/binge eater.  Head hunger doesn't go away unless you find ways to deal with your emotional triggers.  I am a late night grazer and it's stalled my weight loss.

I've started seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  Even though I've lost a lot of weight and my surgery was 21 months ago, the food demons in my head are still there.

I should have been in therapy either before or soon after I had surgery so I'd be that much further down the road.  If you're not in therapy, I highly recommend it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

peachpie
on 9/30/15 5:25 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Good thing is that you identify that your not hungry, and aren't convincing yourself that you are. 

Now to fill that time, or redirect the energy. That's the hard part for me.... It's easier to eat ;-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Susan M.
on 10/1/15 6:20 am - Howell, MI

yes this is head hunger, get it under control now and learn how to deal with it early, I am 4 years out and am dealing with this to the extreme, I have let carbs creep in and now the head hunger is all about those, It is so hard to fight if you are bored or lonely find something that will work for you. I am going to talk to a therapist soon  because this has gotten out of hand and I seem to be overwhelmed with thoughts of food when I am not hungry. I have gained 5 - 7 lbs in the last year and I am struggling not to let this get the best of me. So get control of it now while you are still losing and in the beginning to make it a smoother long term journey. Good luck   

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

Tracy D.
on 10/2/15 8:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You've described head hunger perfectly. It is something you'll need to work on now and continue to work on after surgery. Surgery does NOT remove this desire...not even a little bit. Some new post-ops claim that they don't even "think about food" anymore. I promise you that feeling is temporary and oh-so-fleeting. Give it a six months...a year...or two. It'll be back and just as bad as ever.

It would really pay you to invest in a few sessions with an eating disorder therapist now so he/she can help you develop some good coping skills for times you get bored or need distraction from head hunger. It doesn't go away by itself and you have to practice these new skills to make them effective.

You're right - if you don't work on this now it will absolutely sabotage your future success.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MelodyMay
on 10/2/15 10:43 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I've actually gained two pounds this week because of it. I'm glad I am recognizing it before my surgery, so I have time to try to figure it out. I don't want this to slow me down..I've got too much planned...

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 10:40 pm

Many symptoms are based in physical as well as emotional...So this could be a combination of both physical and mental. When I do that, I am usually low on my minerals. Get your labs checked, just to be sure all is properly balanced.... make sure your magnesium,Calcium, Iron, zinc and proteins are right.

Carbs will increase cravings, it may be the type you are eating..keep a diet diary to see if it is a high glycemic carb,(could be a symptom of a blood sugar drop)..

.Find a handcraft... needlework, plastic canvas work, crochet, knitting...painting, drawing, intense study.. anything that keeps your hands and mind busy..

Denise
Most Active