Food Frustration

zann50
on 11/8/15 7:55 am

Whoa!  Way too much emphasis on money/funding....what about things you are thankful about???  Perhaps your new tool??   I do not get any warm and fuzziness regarding you and your family/inlaws.  I can relate to that.  I agree with the folks that suggested your staying home and feeding yourself.

Brighten your mindset or you have a very difficult WLS road ahead.

MsBatt
on 11/8/15 5:14 pm

So---you buy the food, and your MIL prepares it? Seems like you could buy some shrimp that she could boil? Very little work involved in that. Have you asked her to do something like this?

You say this is a 4-day event? Will you be spending all 4 days in your MIL's home? If so, what do you plan to eat for your other meals? Is there some reason you can't eat those foods during the Big Turkey Throwdown? And FYI, there's no reason in the world you can't eat a fried turkey. Fat is not your enemy, and you aren't going to be able to eat more than a couple of bites in any case.

I was exactly two weeks post-op on Xmas Day. My mom did the traditional (at least in our house) turkey with cornbread dressing, green beans, scalloped potatoes, broccoli casserole, yeast rolls, lemon ice box pie, and cherry delight. I enjoyed that meal perhaps more than any previous holiday meal, because I was SO DAMNED GLAD I could eat a few bites of turkey, a couple of bites of dressing, and a green bean or two and feel full and satisfied. I was so full I didn't even WANT the scalloped potatoes, casserole, or dessert.

You've gotten some stern replies, in part because you simply haven't given us any real DETAILS, just thrown a tantrum. Yes, we know you're hormonal right now, but we can ONLY respond to what you TELL us. 

As for the boyfriend/diet thing---you didn't like it when he tried to tell YOU how to eat, so why on Earth do you think he should like it any better? You've been with this guy for at least 7 years, and he's been abusing you emotionally (at least the way you tell it here.) That doesn't make it okay for you to abuse HIM emotionally NOW that you're a reformed diet sinner.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/3/15 2:03 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I can understand you're frustrated, just assume from this point forward that your family isn't going to accommodate your dietary needs. Bring the food with you & if you're the only one that eats it so be it. Break out the tupperware & bring the leftovers home. You can excuse yourself from the table & go for a walk if you have to.

Consider this as an opportunity to show your family how serious you are about this, but really anywhere you go either family/friends etc, you're gonna have to adjust & eat foods that fit in with your plan, or better yet, just assume they won't have anything for you to eat & bring your own food. Not gonna speak on the boyfriend thing, its a little bit of crazy right there, just don't fall off the deep end.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/3/15 4:00 pm

My first Thanksgiving I was post op two months from RNY and less than one week from gallbladder removal. I felt sleepy and not like eating.

If I go to a gathering and am concerned there won't be something palatable, I just bring something. I do not expect others to make special accomodation. I am not at all special.

My darling husband eats stuff I never would. That's life.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chilipepper
on 11/3/15 4:46 pm
On November 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM Pacific Time, floweringgemini wrote:

So I am starting week 3 post op. I am praying and hoping that I can go to pureed food this week. My nutritionist I guess is the one that is giving me the phases. I did eat a couple scallops over the weekend. I was able to eat 2 then I was good. No pain nothing as a side effect telling me I should not have done that. Is that normal, can my pouch still not feel so thats why it went in ok? I feel like a total screw up in the head with this. I try small bits of things that I can puree in my mouth with all the chewing and everything goes in just fine no pain no problem. Thanksgiving came up over the weekend and I threw a hissy fit. As I listened to the menu the mother in law is planning I was just like "well what about me? can we add something I will be able to eat?" Then thats when the crazy looks and laughs started. I was just like low fat low sugar and high protein. Even sent a list of ideas from other blogs and the response was "Do you really think people are going to eat this?" I sent over crab imperial, roasted butternut squash, pesto bacon wrapped shrimp as a few ideas. People in my life are really starting to make me feel violent. These were awesome recipes just not doused in butter and oil like what is the problem. Then the boyfriend and his total crappy eating is starting to really really get me down. He thinks that just because he is not overweight and has meds for his BP and Cholesterol that he can eat what he wants. I silently keep wishing the he will have a minor heart attack to show him it is not ok. IS that bad? Ugh this is very frustrating. On a plus note I am down 16lb in 2 weeks. I just needed to vent to some who may understand my current struggle.

You are throwing a tantrum and feeling violent because someone won't prepare a special menu for you because you were previously a fatty and took it upon yourself to change and now you expect everyone else to bend over backwards for you. MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD AND TAKE IT WITH YOU. If I told my mother to make me bacon wrapped shrimp and crab imperial along with preparing thanksgiving dinner... That takes a lot of nerve.

Then you are wishing a heart attack on someone because they won't change to what you assume is good for them. I think that is a decision for him and his doctor.

I just have one quick question. Did you have a psych evaluation prior to surgery?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

April Parker
on 11/3/15 5:57 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Jesus guys. Calm down. Anger is a big part of overcoming our relationship with food for most people. If people cant vent here, where can they?

My opinion is that she isn't the one who needs to get over herself. Just because there are rules to follow and thoughts that should try to be avoided, doesn't mean everyone stays on that path. People need to be encouraged and lifted up in a positive manner. Not bashed for not being perfect.

Come on guys.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/3/15 6:41 pm

Wishing a heart attack on someone is very uncool. Asking someone to make special dishes on top of a full meal is also uncool and inconsiderate.

April Parker
on 11/3/15 7:02 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Yeah but obviously we all have bad thoughts and anger and jealousy and "what about meeee" thoughts, just a lot of people don't voice them, and feel bad about it later. I'm sure she doesn't really want him to have a heart attack.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/15 7:11 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't know. I've wished for a meteor to hit my ex.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/3/15 8:48 pm

I thought you were hoping she fell into an open manhole while the city is jetting the line.

Most Active