Taste for food

MassHockey
on 11/7/15 12:15 pm

hoping I can learn from some of you.  I'm going on five weeks since RNY.  Everything is going great.  My question:  when will I "enjoy" food again?  Im eating things I've always liked ( steak, ground turkey, etc) but its a chore to eat it. Most times I'd rather have soup, but I eat the solid food cuz I assume thats what Im supposed to do.  Will I enjoy taking a bote of steak anytime soon?

dont get me wrong:  this is a very nitpicky problem.  I'm thrilled with the results of the surgery and if I never crave a burger again, I can certainly live with it.

Kathy S.
on 11/7/15 1:53 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I can remember for some reason I was so depressed at the thought of never having Birthday Cake again.  We do get to eat foods again.  I am 12 years out and just because I can I don't. I have a bite of this and that but if I want to stay at goal I have to watch it.

To this day I can't eat greasy fatty foods (don't want to) but I get sick if I do.  But sugar?  I can eat it all 

Hang in there

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Maria27
on 11/7/15 2:04 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I don't see this as a problem. Find new things to enjoy. Food is just fuel for your body. Enjoying food too much is what made many of us fat. Although, sometimes I do enjoy different foods now. I love a good cheese or certain fresh fruits. What you like to eat will change. If it didn't, you would just gain back the weight you lose.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

White Dove
on 11/7/15 2:47 pm - Warren, OH

I really don't care for any food much anymore.  I still eat and enjoy it but it never tastes as good as I remember.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jennabee13
on 11/8/15 10:23 am

Granted, I am only a few weeks post-op, but my tastes have completely changed. I used to have a major sweet tooth, but not now. I bought some baby food bananas (which I used to LOVE) for my pureed stage and had to throw them away. I guess that's a good thing. But still depressing to me. I'm back to regular food next week, so it should be interesting to see what tastes good and what does not.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/8/15 2:50 pm, edited 11/8/15 7:01 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I remember feeling this way -- and truly, for me there was a grieving period.  It really felt like eating was more of a chore -- and that was a strange thing for someone whose life had previous revolved on thinking about their next meal while eating their current one.  

I will tell you this, as my own experience.  First off, embrace this time.  This is your honeymoon that everyone talks about.  It will never be this easy to lose weight again, and NOW is the time to learn new ways of coping, embrace healthier eating habits, and change your relationship with food.  This is your time to break your old ways.  

Second, you will enjoy food again.  You may not enjoy it with the full-fledge reckless abandon that got you a ticket to obesity again, but you will enjoy eating again.  It gets considerably  more comfortable, natural and easy as time goes on.  Keep in mind, that is also why there is such a risk for rebounding weight, too. Thus, if everyone stayed feeling as you do now, no one would ever regain...

In my mind, it's not only okay to grieve but also important to.  Most of us have used food to fill a lot of voids in our life and have become accustomed to the comfort and joy it brings us.  It's really normal and okay to miss it once it's gone.

Hope this helps. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MassHockey
on 11/9/15 4:43 am

Thx very much.  Thats a great, and very helpful, answer.

i dont think I'm necessarily grieving, but I do like hearing that eventually eating wont be a chore.

thanks again!

Most Active