Eating Question

MassHockey
on 12/10/15 3:13 pm

I am two months post Rny.  I have no interest in solid food for the most part.  My daily diet is yogurt w granola for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch and a quest bar for dinner.  Maybe some pistacchios for a snac****assionally, I force myself to have a piece of deli turkey.Im getting my protein. (Im also drinking plenty of water).

My question:  is it necessary for me to eat some solid food? Or should I just enjoy the lack of desire for food while it lasts?  I really never get hungry and, if I do, I certainly dont crave anything solid.  Wondering if I should be forcing the issue a bit.

thanx in advance

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/10/15 5:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Try posting on the rny board for more answers to your question. Your diet looks really limited. I can understand you don't desire food, but your body needs it. The bulk of your protein really should come from real food. I only have shakes & bars to supplement my protein requirements. Besides eventually you'll have a little diet fatigue kick in by eating the same thing everyday. Start slow, work in a little bit of regular food & see how you feel. 

Mind you I'm a newbie, but I'd probably go a little crazy if I didn't have a little variety in my meals.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 12/10/15 5:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are 2 issues. You want to eat low calorie, to lose weight, but get the protein your body needs at the same time. It's hard to tell if that is happening from your brief description.

The second part of this equation is developing new eating habits that will take you past the weight loss phase, and that you can continue for life. I doubt very much you can continue eating the way you are now for years and years. This is why a lot of programs want to get people off protein shakes and onto solid food early on.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MassHockey
on 12/10/15 5:41 pm

The "developing life-long habits" component is what prompted me to ask the question.  I've been focused on getting enough protein and hydration so far (and I feel confident that Im doing fine with those two issues). But I'm assuming that, at some point, I need to start eating real food.  

I'll start forcing some things in.  

Thanx for the feedback.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/10/15 5:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yeah, after surgery, job one is pushing fluids. Then comes protein, by any source. Then comes the new eating habits. So you are doing fine. Some continue doing a shake or something for breakfast long after. I have no problem with that, unless it leaves you hungry for something more filling, causing you to eat more.

It sounds like you know what you should do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 12/10/15 5:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 10, 2015 at 11:13 PM Pacific Time, MassHockey wrote:

I am two months post Rny.  I have no interest in solid food for the most part.  My daily diet is yogurt w granola for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch and a quest bar for dinner.  Maybe some pistacchios for a snac****assionally, I force myself to have a piece of deli turkey.Im getting my protein. (Im also drinking plenty of water).

My question:  is it necessary for me to eat some solid food? Or should I just enjoy the lack of desire for food while it lasts?  I really never get hungry and, if I do, I certainly dont crave anything solid.  Wondering if I should be forcing the issue a bit.

thanx in advance

yes,you need to eat real food. What you are eating is mostly sliders. Your pouch will become used to only things that I slide thru easily without the pouch having to do any processing,then down the road,when you try to add some real food,which you will,your pouch is going to protest and give you hell because it has "forgotten " how to process " real " food. 

I am never hungry but I eat 6 small meals a day whether I want to or not. It is not about what I wan,it is about what I NEED.

White Dove
on 12/10/15 8:12 pm - Warren, OH

I did not try solid foods until month 3.  I continued with protein shakes for almost three years.  As time went on I learned to eat more foods.  I really don't think it hurt me to use protein shakes as long as I got my protein in.  I did find that I needed to add fiber capsules when I did not eat solid food.

I think it is fine to just enjoy the feeling of no hunger and to watch the scale go down.

Even though you are on a limited diet, please weigh your food and track with My Fitness Pal.

Also weigh daily.  These are habits that will sustain you for life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MassHockey
on 12/11/15 4:27 am

Thanks for all the advice.  I really appreciate having this spot to ask questions.

i'm going to dip my toe into some real food. I forced myself to have 2 small pieces of grilled chicken breast for breakfast today.  I'll keep expanding that until I get to a comfort zone.

Thank you.

Most Active