If you have bilateral hands and feet numbness

jeanbell
on 1/28/16 11:37 am - Standish, MI

If you have bilateral and even numbness in your feet, and weakness, followed by balance problems, please mention this to your doctor: CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy). I was misdiagnosed in 2009, which led to paralysis. I almost died.

It took a long time to recover. I can walk now with braces. Because the dx took so long, I have permanent nerve damage. This is extremely rare, but I try to reach as many people as I can. It was a horrible thing being bedridden...

Please pass this on to all of your family members and friends and doctors: CIDP

Of course, I have no idea if it could be related to my RNY surgery, in 2005. I think probably not, as I did not have any vitamin deficiencies that I am aware of.

NYMom222
on 1/28/16 9:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Can I ask how they figured it out and what type of Doctor you were seeing? I did have bilateral numbness upped my B-12 and it seems to mostly gone away, but I don't know if that was really it because my bloodwork never came back low.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

jeanbell
on 1/29/16 4:35 pm - Standish, MI

I went to a Neurologist. I asked for an EMG. That where they check for nerve damage. That's how they diagnosed the CIDP Sometimes, it comes on really fast... they call that Guillian Berret (sp?) Sounds like gee-on-ber-ay... If it is really slow coming on, then it is the CIDP. 

Fast treatment is the key. I didn't get that. Some snooty female doc refused the tests to me for quite a while. She even misdiagnosed me. That caused even more time to pass and more damage done to my nerves. 

NYMom222
on 1/29/16 7:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Was it constant or came and went...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active