Fluids Question

lking
on 3/16/16 5:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm concerned.  How long can we go without fluids befor becoming dehydrated?  Since my WLS I have always been extremely aware of my fluid intake, tracking every drop that passes my lips and watching my urine for color change.

Today I am having surgery to install a port so I can begin chemo tomorrow.  Since my surgery involves general anesthetic, I was instructed to shut off all fluid intake at midnight last night.  My surgery isn't until 12:30 this afternoon, a 45 munute procedure, then I'll be in recovery for a couple of hours at least (my history of past recoveries is not good so it could be longer).  I'm assuming at some point I will be given fluid via IV.

Should I not be concerned about dehydration and just put my trust into the medical staff to correctly handle things?  Should I say something to the nurse(s) that will have me in pre-op?

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

White Dove
on 3/16/16 5:47 am - Warren, OH

I have gotten dehydrated working or running hard in hot sun for an hour.  Fasting for surgery will not be a problem.  

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 3/16/16 7:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Pacific Time, lking wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm concerned.  How long can we go without fluids befor becoming dehydrated?  Since my WLS I have always been extremely aware of my fluid intake, tracking every drop that passes my lips and watching my urine for color change.

Today I am having surgery to install a port so I can begin chemo tomorrow.  Since my surgery involves general anesthetic, I was instructed to shut off all fluid intake at midnight last night.  My surgery isn't until 12:30 this afternoon, a 45 munute procedure, then I'll be in recovery for a couple of hours at least (my history of past recoveries is not good so it could be longer).  I'm assuming at some point I will be given fluid via IV.

Should I not be concerned about dehydration and just put my trust into the medical staff to correctly handle things?  Should I say something to the nurse(s) that will have me in pre-op?

it takes a couple of days to get medically dehydrated. 

The iv you will be given will more than make up for not drinking for 12 hrs. 

Good luck with ur procedure.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/16/16 12:39 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

What everyone else said.  They'll hydrate you for the port-a-cath installation and you'll be fine.  You can start drinking as soon as they release you.

I had a port installed before I started chemo.  It makes things so much easier.  Good luck 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Grim_Traveller
on 3/16/16 8:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

They do this all the time. They won't let you get dehydrated.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active