Fatty Liver??

trella72
on 4/3/16 5:53 am
VSG on 04/18/16

Hi there!  I am super excited to get my surgery!!  I am scheduled for April 19th.  I have a concern, I have elevated liver enzymes due to a fatty liver.  Should I start the Liver Reduction diet sooner that the requested 10 days pre-op?  Any one else have a fatty liver before going into the process?  I am so happy to have support!! :)

Maria27
on 4/3/16 6:52 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Just do what your surgeon tells you. Most wls patients have fatty liver before surgery, whether they realize it or not. Good luck!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

trella72
on 4/3/16 11:01 am
VSG on 04/18/16

Thank you for your reply! :) 

Hislady
on 4/3/16 2:57 pm - Vancouver, WA

Nearly everyone who is obese has a fatty liver. If you want to get a head start try eating low carb until your pre-op diet. I(t is the way you will need to eat post op anyway. I usually suggest Atkins induction diet but they have changed the plan to counting net carbs I believe the original diet by Dr. Atkins counts total carbs not net carbs so either way it is probably an improvement over current eating. However once you have surgery I would advise counting total carbs only because you want to take advantage of the surgery as soon as possible so you can use that beginning determination to help you out! Good luck to you.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/3/16 5:51 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to reiterate what the two previous posters said -- nearly everyone who is obese suffers from a fatty liver.  I did - in fact, my surgeon routinely does a biopsy during surgery and I actually had some minor liver damage that I hadn't even known about.  

I also agree that while eating a low carb diet early (which is basically the post op way of life!) can be beneficial, it isn't really necessary  to start earlier than asked -- although, I would contend the sooner the better for your overall health.  

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming surgery.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active