Initial Impression and Question

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 1:22 pm

Ok, fine.  I'm NOT new to this game.  While I haven't actually had my surgery yet, I've been researching procedures for years and am not ignorant about what I'm getting myself into.  I get the feeling every feels superior here if they've had the surgery and believes that just because I'm new to the forum that I'm new to the world of WLS.  My surgery is in 13 days and I don't appreciate being treated like I'm an ignorant idiot just because I didn't find this forum at the beginning of this process when I would have taken certain suggestions as helpful, rather than antagonizing.  After choosing a surgeon I have spent hours and hours talking with members of the team and ordering more books, doing more reading and preparing myself as much as possible since the first meeting with him so many months ago.  I've been to hell and back with some of my clearances.  This is NOT a hockey game, this is a group (from my understanding) meant to support and encourage one another.  Yes, I am new to this site, I do not appreciate being treated like a moron.  So, I can be impolite, too.  I just find it unnecessary in a SUPPORT group.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/13/16 1:27 pm

Ffs, do whatever you want. No one treated you poorly.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you'd read more of the forums-- now, or back when doing research-- you'd know that "support" around here does NOT often equal a hand-pat and false assurances that everything are fine. Flip through old posts and see how many people have NOT done their research and/or make bad decisions, and you'll understand why the long-time posters act the way they do.

Nobody's out to attack you. Nobody says you're an idiot. This is just how things run around here.

Good luck.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/13/16 2:12 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Breathe girl, Breathe! Take a step back, don't take **** personal. No one thinks you're an ignorant idiot. Just remember no one knows you or what you've been thru, the research you've done etc, etc. They only know what you post. Chill! No one, or at least I'm pretty sure no one feels superior to anyone else here.

Remember what I said earlier, you don't have to defend every post. Keep your eyes focused on what you want to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/13/16 5:11 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On April 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM Pacific Time, Jenb1202 wrote:

Ok, fine.  I'm NOT new to this game.  While I haven't actually had my surgery yet, I've been researching procedures for years and am not ignorant about what I'm getting myself into.  I get the feeling every feels superior here if they've had the surgery and believes that just because I'm new to the forum that I'm new to the world of WLS.  My surgery is in 13 days and I don't appreciate being treated like I'm an ignorant idiot just because I didn't find this forum at the beginning of this process when I would have taken certain suggestions as helpful, rather than antagonizing.  After choosing a surgeon I have spent hours and hours talking with members of the team and ordering more books, doing more reading and preparing myself as much as possible since the first meeting with him so many months ago.  I've been to hell and back with some of my clearances.  This is NOT a hockey game, this is a group (from my understanding) meant to support and encourage one another.  Yes, I am new to this site, I do not appreciate being treated like a moron.  So, I can be impolite, too.  I just find it unnecessary in a SUPPORT group.

Honey, settle down.  No one thinks you're an ignorant idiot.  No one feels superior because they've had surgery.  No one thinks you're a moron.  No one is being impolite.

The advice from the vets here is invaluable.  This is a support group, but if you act like a fool, you will be treated like a fool.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 4/14/16 12:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM Pacific Time, Jenb1202 wrote:

you ARE new at this game as long as you are pre op. All the research in the world only prepares you for a very minimal amount of preparedness. It is nothing like post op. 

You have to LIVE it to even know what I am talking about. You will find out what I am talking about when you are post op.

DoryAnne2
on 4/22/16 7:10 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Unfortunately, I've had similar issues with judgmental responses from people on this site.  I just ignore it and try to live by the OA saying "Take what you want and leave the rest."  It IS frustrating when people are giving their opinion in a strong manner when it wasn't even asked for, but I try to remember that they think they're being helpful and it's hopefully never intentional if they hurt/offend someone.  

I wish you luck on your journey!  There are a lot of supportive and helpful people on this site also. Glad you stood up for yourself! 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

Jenb1202
on 4/22/16 10:35 am

Thank you so, so much! 

hollykim
on 4/14/16 6:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 13, 2016 at 6:53 PM Pacific Time, Jenb1202 wrote:

A fight was not at all my intention.  I guess I more wanted to let people know how they come across (some people, not all).  I think it was that it was the same thing repeated over and over and over that has me so upset.  I don't know how else to say that I appreciate the concern, but trust my medical team.  I got frustrated with having to try to come up with polite ways to say that.  I'm the last person to pick a fight - to fight at all (just ask my therapist), but I felt attacked.  I thought I'd say my peace and now that can be that.

Thank you.

may I respectfully ask why you feel it is ok for you to "say your piece" but it is apparently not alright for any of us to say ours.

Deanna798
on 4/13/16 11:50 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I just looked through your posting history and the responses and saw absolutely nothing that would have been considered harsh.  Did one of your posts get deleted?

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active