Initial Impression and Question

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:03 pm

I hadn't thought of that.  I looked back and re-read what others had posted and perhaps it was a post of mine being deleted or whatever, but there were a TON more terribly negative and rather forceful and demanding posts against VSG in my situation.  When I just re-read them all, it doesn't seem like everything was there.  I'm not placing blame, nor am I trying to make people think I suspect some conspiracy or something silly.  It just doesn't seem as angry as I felt it was before.  Either way, that's said and done.  Thank you for going back and looking.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/13/16 12:10 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The liq diet takes getting used to.  Sometimes all I could do was whine and go to sleep.  I did drink alot - before surgery I had van prot powder with diet orange soda - a creamcicle prot shake.  That was breakfast and a choc prot shake with diet choc soda was lunch and dinner - after surgery no more soda. 

I went back and looked at your earlier posts, this is a usually straight-shooting but nice bunch of posters.  I didn't see any terrible posts, but I do understand that when the comments are directed at me, I am senstitive to what is written also.

At the risk of your thinking that I am slamming you - I will say that VSG is usually not considered a match for those with GERD, severe or otherwise.  Does your surgeon know that you have severe GERD??     I got the RNY and it was magic for GERD (I also had a hiatal hernia that was fixed at the same time as the RYN surgery, and until it was fixed I didn't realize that I had severe GERD - I thought that discomfort was just normal. That's just an example to show that OM people must have high pain tolerence to just get through the day.)

I have posted one of the articles below - I'm not your surgeon, nor can I say what surgery you should get, just suggesting that they know the extent of your GERD and you discuss this with them. I can say that it is wonderful not having GERD and I wish one of my friends would have WLS - half because it will help her lose weight and half because it could help her GERD- she suffers with it every night.

GERD: Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy

by on February 13, 2014April 21, 2014 Bariatric Surgery Study

Woman with heartburnIf you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and are considering weight loss surgery, then the increasingly popular sleeve gastrectomy may not be the best procedure for you.

According to a review of the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database, pre-operative GERD was associated with worse outcomes and decreased weight loss in patients who had undergone sleeve gastrectomy compared to patients who had undergone gastric bypass surgery.

https://www.wlshelp.com/news/gerd-gastric-bypass-vs-sleeve-gastrectomy/

Researchers said that GERD is a matter of concern with sleeve gastrectomy and that the evidence suggests GERD may be considered a relative contraindication for the procedure.

About the Study

The study had two primary objectives:

• Analyze the effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) on patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
  • Compare the results of LSG vs gastric bypass (GB) among patients with GERD.

The patient data used in the study came from a retrospective review of the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database from January 1, 2007 to December 31, 2010.

The main outcomes analyzed by the researchers were (1) the rates of improvement or worsening of GERD symptoms, (2) the development of new onset GERD, (3) weight loss, and (4) complications.

The study results included a total of 4,832 LSG patients and 33,867 GB patients. Pre-existing GERD was present in 44.5% of the LSG group and 50.4% of the GB group.

Study Results

The following outcomes were reported:

• Among patients with pre-existing GERD, the disease resolved in 15.9% of LSG patients and in 62.8% of GB patients.
  • Of LSG patients without preoperative GERD, it developed in 8.6% postoperatively.
  • A comparison of complications among LSG patients showed that the presence of pre-operative GERD was associated with more postoperative complications (15% vs 11%), more gastrointestinal adverse events (7% vs 4%), and more need for revisional surgery (0.6% vs 0.3%).
  • A comparison of weight loss showed that the presence of GERD was associated with decreased weight loss in the LSG group but had no effect in the GB group.

The researchers conclude that while there may not be definite evidence to list GERD as an absolute contraindication for sleeve gastrectomy, the data is sufficient enough that pre-existing severe GERD may be considered a relative contraindication.

They further recommend evaluating all bariatric surgery patients for the presence and severity of GERD during patient counseling and selection of the optimal bariatric procedure.

Primary source: JAMA Surgery; "Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in Patients With Preexisting Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A National Analysis," published online February 05, 2014.

Secondary source: MedPage Today; "Gastric Sleeve Little Help for GERD," published online February 05, 2014.

ALSO:  Article raising concerns about VSG and GERD

Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 741097, 6 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/741097

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2013/741097/

Sharon

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:19 pm

Thank you, Sharon.  My doc is aware, plus I see an ENT regularly for the issue and am on more than the standard Nexium or Protonix.

I appreciate you adding the article to back up your opinion.  How you phrased it just seems more kind to me.  I come from a social work background and online communities for mental health.  We're all pretty careful over there because of the potential repercussions.  Perhaps it just took me by surprise.

EAH
on 4/13/16 8:46 pm - CA

Curious as to what you are currently using for GERD.

I have Barretts Esophagus from long term GERD, which I am sure you are familiar with......scary stuff

I was put on Nexium 2x a day.

Was on it daily for 12 years.

It is known to cause many problems such as malabsorption of important nutrients to the body.

I developed a severe Magnesium deficiency which required weekly infusions along with bone density issues.

Now long term Nexium use has been linked to Kidney failure.........

And just this week studies show long term Nexium use has a strong link to early onset Alzheimers and dementia.

I wanted the sleeve but my DR. will not even consider it for me.

I am going to have the RNY because decades ago it was first used as a surgery to prevent severe GERD.

Additionally I am not willing to subject my body to Nexium use anymore.

I would really love to know what your are taking that is helping your GERD-any alternative to Nexium is helpful.

Thanks! 

Jenb1202
on 4/14/16 10:27 am

My ENT has me taking Dexilant 1/2 hr before lunch and then Zantac/famotidine after dinner.  Nexium didn't do me any good - another reason I began seeing an ENT.  Wow, I hadn't heard the scary study results for long-term Nexium use!  My GERD, while severe, is (mostly) controlled with these meds and with (the super difficult part), not going to bed until 3 hours after I last ate.  I have to stop drinking then too, even water, which has me concerned post-op as far as dehydration since I know that's so common with WLS patients.  Most of my GERD issues were at night, even though I was using a wedge to sleep, but I'd be up for hours at a shot.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/14/16 9:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

There are valid reasons for VSG over RYN - the primary one is that VGS is a much shorter (and easier to perform) operation.  Time under anesthesia can increase the risk for some people - so your surg may be performing a balancing of factors (heart health, age, etc) and he might be thinking VSG is the best for you despite the GERD (for which RNY is not a foolproof cure). Either way - I would think about having a deeper discussion with your surgeon. 

I was very happy to get the hiatal (espopghogaus) hernia done when I got the RYN - apparently my insurance didn't cover the hernia repair on its own and you are just supposed to live with the perpetual heart burn and treat with drugs.  I discovered the hernia when I had a calcium x-ray to check for clogged arteries.  However, it must be repaired to have the RYN (and I would thin for the VSG - but I don;t know about the VSG first hand).

Best of luck for your journey.

PS Sometimes another person will read a post and get information that they (not you) need.

Sharon

Lovely_Caprice
on 4/13/16 12:21 pm

You have to think what is more important - eating unhealthy food or following a program that will make you healthy.

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:29 pm

I'm definitely in this to get healthy, to get all/most of the excess weight off so I can function again -- little things like taking the dogs for a walk, or not having to take the elevator for just one floor.  Unhealthy food has gotten me to this point.  It's time to change.

Deanna798
on 4/13/16 12:38 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I had WLS last August and ran a 5k a few weeks ago!  It is all possible, and so much more!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 12:42 pm

That's so exciting!  Way to go :)

Most Active