Would You Do It Again?

stacyrg
on 5/13/16 2:29 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I'm one who developed GERD post VSG after never having a problem before surgery.  It's been a horrible year of tests, medication changes and constant heartburn and I'm looking at a revision to bypass before the end of summer.  With that said, would I do it again?  Without hesitation or a doubt, yes.  In a heartbeat.  I've lost 100+ pounds and in the past year have run 4 half-marathons and a handful of 10ks.  This surgery has given me a life I could only dream about and I'm grateful every day that I had the courage to take the step and a surgeon with the skills necessary to change my life.

dangeloc
on 5/13/16 2:31 pm

Thank you so much guys! It has been so frustrating, being sober and bulimic free for 6.5 years I thought I would have soured right into the surgery, but the weight loss center obviously has different plans. I am learning so much on here. You all said exactly what I wanted to hear. I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks by staying on a 1700 calorie diet, so I'm trying to convince myself that I can do this by myself just in case they deny me. I would have such an easy time too. They screened me and I don't need a sleep study, I also don't need an EGD because I had one June 4th of last year. I have no health risks except for really bad GERD. The onlt drugs I take is Nexium for GERD. I weigh 285 and am 70" tall. I am JUST above the 40% BMI so I will still qualify. I can still lose about 10 pounds before I won't qualify. They won't even count my weigh-in on my first visit because I needed the psych evals, first. Thursday they are meeting to discuss whether or not I am "in" and if I am, I will post my starting weight and my goal weight. I haven't done that because I don't know the goal weight yet.

Love to all!

dangeloc
on 5/13/16 2:32 pm

Also, I KNOW RNY is supposed to cure GERD, but in the last week or 2 I have read at least 3 people who said their heartburn, GERD, etc were bad AFTER RNY!

rocky513
on 5/13/16 3:31 pm - WI

Shortly after RNY you can experience a slow motility in your new pouch and intestines.  The food has trouble emptying and moving through the digestive tract.  It can feel a lot like GERD.  It usually goes away in a few months when your system wakes up and gets with the new program.  RNY cured my severe GERD. I woke up pain free for the first time in over 25 years. I would have surgery again in a heartbeat!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

stacyrg
on 5/13/16 3:39 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

This is just from my own experience, and I know others will disagree with me, but if I had GERD prior to surgery there is not a doubt in my mind that I would have chosen RNY over VSG.  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/13/16 3:58 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The VSG is contraindicated if you have GERD prior to surgery.

I'm with you.  If I had it before, I would have opted for the RNY.  It's a no brainer.  I never had any type of heartburn prior to my VSG, but I have bouts of it now.  It was worse during the first year after surgery and I took a prescription PPI for over a year.  I stopped taking it and it seems to have subsided.  I asked my surgeon about it and he says that about 10-30% of people who had no symptons of GERD before surgery will develop it after.  Unlucky you 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

stacyrg
on 5/13/16 4:15 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Very unlucky me.  I had a 24 hour pH study and my acid is elevated to 409% higher than normal.  I'm on Protonix in the morning, Dexilant at night and Zantac before bed and there's not a day I don't have acid symptoms.  In researching, my doctor said there is a gene mutation that if you have it, you are a rapid metabolizer of PPIs.  I was tested last week and I have it.  So, medication doesn't control my symptoms.  It took me a long time to accept it, but it seems like conversion to RNY is the only cure.  It's too bad, because I LOVE my sleeve. 

on 5/13/16 4:23 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Wow, I didn't even know about the gene mutation factor.  I'm really sorry that you're going through this.  It must be awful.  Are you scheduled for a revision in the near future?

stacyrg
on 5/13/16 4:28 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had never heard of the gene mutation either but my medical team decided to have me tested after I blew through a series of PPIs without any relief.  I've been talking to my surgeon and we're looking at the end of June, beginning of July.  

on 5/13/16 4:31 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Good luck to you.  I'm sure that you'll find relief with the RNY  

Most Active