How much time off work?

z_m14
on 6/15/16 5:39 pm, edited 6/15/16 5:39 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

My boss wants to know how much time I am expecting to take off work for this surgery. I'm a part-time worker as a cashier/bagger at a grocery store (I'm under my parents' insurance), so I'm wondering how much time I will need. I lift a lot and stand for eight hours most days. The coordinator said that four weeks is the general amount of time that patients take off. I don't need to tell my boss when I expect to be back exactly since the scheduling is flexible, but I wonder if I'll really need four whole weeks. At the same time, I don't want to tell her a "couple" weeks and then need more time. 

Another thing: I'll be leaving for school at the end of August. Should I consider going back to work or just focus on recovery before going to school? Ahhhh so many questions! 

How much time did you take off for surgery?

Sleeve_Mia
on 6/15/16 7:32 pm
VSG on 06/11/16

If your lifting heavy things I would suggest 3 weeks or more.  Talk to your doctor though, everyone is going to be different due to size and complications.  My suggestion is to focus on getting better this summer before going back to school.  You will be taking in less calories, so your energy levels will be low.  Lifting heavy things might tire you easily.  Hope all goes well!

z_m14
on 6/15/16 10:03 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

Thanks, Sleeve_Mia. I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him at my final appointment before surgery. I think this might be one of those things I have to play by ear. I really would like to go back to work sooner because that means I will make some money, but at the same time, I don't want to risk having complications before school starts. I'm more worried about school and classes than I am about my part-time job.

obioxiupa
on 6/15/16 11:44 pm

I have a desk job - I was off completely for a week then half time for a week from home.  For a physical job I'd definitely try to take 3-4 weeks.

good luck!

tara

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

peachpie
on 6/16/16 2:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I took off 3 weeks 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

pr31
on 6/16/16 3:14 am

The mention of lifting is what concerns me. My surgeon said not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 6 weeks. Make sure you tell the doc the type of work you do. I'm 2 weeks post-op tomorrow & can't imagine standing all day & bagging groceries at this point. Take care of yourself. You don't want to risk a hernia or other complication.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

swim_bike_smile
on 6/16/16 4:59 am
RNY on 06/13/16

I have a desk job, and I am allowed to take 4 full weeks off from work.  I had my surgery 3 days ago, and I am still taking opiates for pain, but the pain is much less severe than it was 3 days ago.  However, I am not allowed to lift anything greater than 10lbs for 4 weeks even if I were able to go back to work.  

Lisa F.
on 6/16/16 5:41 am
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm in the middle of my second week of a 3 week leave. I feel good, am mobile, etc. but I get tired and need naps in the afternoon. Aside from the physical challenges of your job that others have mentioned, it's a full time commitment to get your liquids in the first couple of weeks, and the third week, adjusting to soft foods. You're literally learning to eat again and you'll need time to focus on that.

I agree that you should focus on getting healthy and adjusting to your new stomach this summer so you can focus on starting school feeling healthy and ready. If you're still on the fence, tell them 4 weeks. You can always come back sooner if you feel up to it.

Good luck to you!

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Deanna798
on 6/16/16 5:49 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I took 3 weeks, but I have a desk job that requires no standing or lifting.  My surgeon had a strict weight restriction until I was 6 weeks post op.  I have a 2 year old and wasn't able to lift him.  My hubby was very strict that I be careful, so I was mostly compliant (though I did occasionally hold the baby, how can you not?)

If you have the luxury of being able to take the time off work, it may be in your best interest to do it.  You will have more time to adjust to your new digestive system and heal before you return to school.

Good luck!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/16/16 5:52 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I have a desk job, but I had Surgery Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday. Went home because I got sick but went right back Wednesday

I couldnt imagine standing and running a register that early, though

I'd say after a week and a half I could probably have managed. Thats when most all of my discomfort was gone

I think the only issue that would have been less than fun is moving cases of water around to scan the barcode. Aside from that I'd feel confident (for myself, at least)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active