Cake in our office contributes obesity

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/16 3:58 pm

We have something in our culture called "Office Cake Culture," and it contributes to obesity. Every time there is a birthday party or even if there is a very small event, cake is there and it's usually not healthy. We can we do to counter this cake culture?

Especially offices that often cater meetings.

Here is a good story on this subject. http://www.emaxhealth.com/1506/office-cake-culture-contribut ing-weight-gain

What do you do to serve healthier foods in workplace when there are occasions and or meetings?

kathkeb
on 7/18/16 4:13 pm

I don't eat communal food.   I imagine that someone sneezed all over it .... And walk on by.  It's not my food.

Kath

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/16 6:15 am

I love the way you think!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 4:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm notorious for feeding my employees-- I oversee a department of 6. When we had a funding-cut scare, I made breakfast and we all sat around and *****ed. (Oddly enough, HR thought this was a brilliant idea.) But it's pretty easy to go for healthy stuff.

Breakfast? Scrambled eggs and fruit, skip the donuts.

International milk day? Sampling of fancy cheeses.

REALLY want junk food? Buy the really weird **** and have two potato chips in bizarre flavors from Japan. (Eggs benedict? Shrimp mayo? Bring it on!)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/16 4:15 pm

Do you do the same for birthdays and meetings other than breakfast?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 4:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

We don't do snacks for meetings, but we do birthday potlucks. We actually get a really good variety of healthy stuff! Last week, we had shrimp ****tail, meatballs, a fruit tray, and gazspatcho (in addition to chocolate and pizza). Our department is pretty health conscious and we plan together to make sure there's a decent mix.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Boxerlover3452
on 7/18/16 4:18 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

OMGosh you must work where I do.   I work with a bunch of nurses and 5 out of 8 are morbidly obese.  No, I'm not judging, just stating a fact.  In fact 2 of them had WLS way before I started working there.  I swear, they celebrate breathing.  They are constantly bringing in cake, cookies, donuts, etc. etc. and put it all on the back table right outside of my cubicle.  Whenever I say something, they just say "well, you don't have to eat it".  Well, I'm addicted and sweets are what got me into trouble. 

I haven't told anyone except 2 of my closest friends that I had the surgery.  Since I only work part time I only used 2 days of my ETO days (earned time off) and the rest of the 10 days I was not scheduled to work anyway, so no one new better that I had the surgery. 

I try my best to ignore the sweets, but it is difficult.  the only saving grace is I'm afraid of dumping while at work. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/16 7:40 pm

I have seen reports that more than half of nurses are obese. I think nurses work so hard taking care of everyone else, they have no energy left to take care of themselves. 3 of my cousins are nurses. 2 of the 3 are obese.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/16 6:18 am

This is true! One of my favorite nurses at my church is obese and has had to have stents.

Every Sunday, I pray that every single vending machine she walks up to at work DOESNT work or WONT take her money.

Another thing that really blows my mind is going to an AACR meeting (i.e. American Association of Cancer Research) and seeing Cancer Researchers sitting outside SMOKING.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Boxerlover3452
on 7/19/16 6:28 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I think you're right.  Plus they work their butts off and have no time for regular lunches, etc. They don't even have time to go to the bathroom for heaven's sake.  I so admire nurses and how hard they work and what they put up with.

Most Active