acne and hormone release?

swim_bike_smile
on 8/10/16 6:31 am
RNY on 06/13/16

I keep reading in forums about hormones released during weight loss.  Does anyone have any research on this? I can't find any information, and I like to read up on things.  

On a related note, I've been noticing that my skin looks absolutely horrible right now. I've never really had acne before-- perhaps a pimple here or there-- but never an actual full blown breakout.  Right now my entire chin is covered, and my hairline from ear to ear is as well.  I'm guessing that it is hormonal, but wanted to see what other people have experienced.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do?

M1 -31  M2  -15  M3 -14  M4 -10 M5 -12 M6 -7  M7  -4  M8  -3    

Instagram:    the.traveling.pouch

MFP:     chelso0o     (o zero 0)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/10/16 6:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I did -- and i believe it was because fat carries estrogen and when you're losing, you are flooded with it.  My skin was terribly broken out for a while.  I used a good quality soap to keep my face clean and over-the-counter acne cream.  It passed.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/10/16 9:31 am

yes. Drink more water... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crystal M.
on 8/10/16 9:45 am - Joliet, IL

I had a sudden problem.  I started using better soap and makeup for starters.  I increased my water. 

On a side note.  I started taking better care of my skin.  Actually started a skin care regimen.  Use a moisturizer daily now and make sure I use sun block daily, even in the winter.  My skin is now healthier than it ever looked.  When I went to have my makeup done for my wedding last year, the girl doing my makeup said I had the best looking pores she seen all week...LOL. She even asked what soap I used.   

pammieanne
on 8/10/16 10:48 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So, what kind of soap do you use? 

You can't leaving us hanging like that!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

crystal M.
on 8/11/16 7:28 am - Joliet, IL

Dermalogica.  Its a bit expensive but a big bottle lasted me two years.  So it comes out to about $25 a year. 

seattledeb
on 8/10/16 9:34 pm

I think you just got your answer.

Hormones are stored in fat cells. It will pass but acne is pretty common in the big loss weight time.

What annoys me is that now if I lose one pound I will break out..grr.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/16 12:54 am

Losing weight and acne are not obligatory connected but there is such a possibility. What diet do you follow?  

When you lose much weight at once it is a great stress to your organism and this affects the whole body and its systems influencing your skin as well. Acne can appear also as a result of some lack of vitamins,minerals if your diet is very strict and your organism lacks some necessary elements to stay healthy. In any case,what can you do? So, first of all, take care of your healthy diet in order not to harm your stomach as it also can cause problems with your skin. And apply some natural homemade remedies which will be helpful for acne: apple cider vinegar with water in the ratio 1:3 if you have a sensitive skin type. Or the baking soda which can be found at your kitchen. there are many recipes with honey and lemon juice with good reviews. Choose the one you like more.

Sunqueen15
on 8/11/16 11:28 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I have not struggled with any of this. I have lost nearly 60 pounds in the last 5 months, my skin is looking better than ever! I would like to think it's because I have never drank more water in my whole entire life lol

Most Active