Musings About Changes in Favorite Foods and Drinks Post WLS

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/22/17 7:56 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My favorite things to eat/drink now are baked fish, coffee and crystal light lemonade.  Before WLS, I would eat mild fish, but it was never a first choice and I really liked it fried.  Now I actually crave baked fish (still mild)!  I also drank coffee but usually only one cup a day and I enjoyed it for the wake up quality more than anything.  Now I really enjoy it as a treat.  I spent years being somewhat dehydrated, never drinking much water or anything else except with meals.  Since learning the habit of always sipping on water flavored with crystal light lemonade (I've never been a fan of plain water), if I forget my mug I feel empty and have to get it or a reasonable substitute quickly.  It's amazing how almost a year (11 months) can change you!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

peachpie
on 1/22/17 8:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm the same way with feeling naked without my water bottle. It goes everywhere with me. Like you, pre-op I only drank with meals. I like the strawberry and cherry-pomegranate crystal lights, I never fancied the lemonade. Yogurt is another thing I enjoy post op- that I refused to eat before. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

seattledeb
on 1/22/17 3:24 pm

I have had problems burning myself out on yogurt. 

peachpie
on 1/22/17 5:32 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I only eat one flavor- vanilla. You'd think I'd tire of it- but I really look forward to it.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

pammieanne
on 1/23/17 6:51 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

The cherry-pomegranate or any of the ***-pomegranate blends are my favorite!!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Sai F.
on 1/22/17 9:29 am
VSG on 09/02/16

I relate! I think I spent most of my life dehydrated as I was never thirsty, often mistaking thirst for hunger. I still do that but not nearly as much since I have to drink at least 64 oz and my body is thanking me for it. The changes in my taste after WLS are most welcome too, like baked over fried. I was a fried anything nut, and now baked, grilled tastes so much better. Spicy grilled onions over fried onion rings any day now. I also don't want any sweets. I think though that it is because of pre-op, those protein shakes are so so sweet to me. I never liked sweets much but now, there is zero temptation for an occasional snickers bar, for example. 

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Lipsticklady
on 1/22/17 4:09 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I'm three and a half years out and I still like softer foods.  Seafood salad, chicken salad, shrimp, crab, shredded meat with gravy.

I suck at drinking my water.  I've been working really hard at it, but yeah... not good.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

rachelp
on 1/23/17 8:14 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I am amazed how things have changed for me. Before, I wouldn't touch water! So far the only flavor I have found that I like is crystal light strawberry lemonade. Everything else seems too sweet. I get about 64 to 80 oz every day. Now when I look at bread, rice or pasta I think no way...that's wasted space! I used to eat all carb meals pre WLS! I'm so happy that I don't even miss those things.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

-Flo-
on 1/23/17 7:00 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I used to be really into snack foods; chips, candy etc. Now, I crave real meals with fruit and veggies. Overall, I am eating so much more healthy and it is actually what I want.

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/23/17 8:16 pm
I use to LOVE pizza and chinese food. Now I just like them....I always liked stewed meats.....now I prefer them. I really liked burgers prior to surgery...mmmmmm a nice meaty burge and fries......now I prefer a salad with protein.

Surgery changes your taste buds.

Scott
Most Active