One Year Anniversary of RNY (yesterday)

Jester
on 3/22/17 9:27 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Wow. It's really hard to believe it has already been a year, and at the same time it's hard to comprehend how much has changed for me in the last year. Let's start with the stats:

HW: 333 (2/9/2016 - the day I started my new lifestyle)
SW: 286 (3/21/2016)
CW: 146 (this morning - 3/22/2016)

I truly can not imagine this surgery and the resulting year going any better. While there certainly have been challenges and struggles along the way, I have embraced my new lifestyle and love where my life is at right now.

I have completely changed my relationship with food. My plan calls for me to eat copious amounts of veggies, at least 60g of protein and fruits as I see fit. I am to try and avoid processed foods, dairy, and all refined carbs. I am probably 95% compliant and I love the food I eat. I have rekindled my love of cooking and have really learned to love the flavors of fresh food. I have also incorporated a much larger volume of non-animal proteins in my diet (per my plan) and enjoy them immensely.

There is no doubt that some of the old demons are still there, and that I will be battling them daily for the foreseeable future. I mainly struggle with night eating - something I've been trying to work on. The difference now is that if I lose my battle of self-control, I am still really good at eating on-plan, keeping calories in line, and not re-gaining weight.

I recently found a therapist to work on these issues with and am really excited to begin this phase of the journey. I know people often recommend therapist long before the surgery and continuing on afterwards, but I never really felt the need for it until recently. I am in a good place, but realize I need some help sorting through these issues. I didn't avoid it due to any aversion to therapy, I have been in therapy on and off my entire adult life. In fact, I was the only member of my immediate family not in weekly therapy until a few weeks ago!

On a final note, it's amazing the wealth of opportunities and changes that the change in lifestyle brings. Here are a few:

• Health - I am completely off BP meds, and my cholesterol is WAY down into the normal range. I no longer take any prescription medications. I also recently had my hip replaced and am almost back to 100% in less than 2 months. No way that was possible carrying around an extra 185lbs.
  • Flying - This cannot be overstated - flying is SO MUCH BETTER as a smaller person
  • Being Active - Taking walks, going hiking, having more ENERGY. I actually WANT to get out and do things!
  • Clothes - I always hated shopping, I now love it. I actually feel I look good in them now!
  • Reduction of Fear - Fear I will not fit in a booth, fear I won't fit in a roller coaster, fear there isn't enough room for me to walk through people/down an airplane aisle, etc.
  • Everyday Activities - Putting on socks/shoes, getting up and down out of a chair, walking around....literally everything.

I could go on and on, but that's probably enough for now. There are obviously some downsides as well (being cold all the time - bones sticking out everywhere making sitting, sleeping, etc hard - occasional food issues) but they are so minor in comparison to how great my new life is.

Maintenance terrifies me. I can never go back. I am almost 4 months into maintenance and doing pretty well so far. It has been an adjustment, but I'm not sure I'll be "comfortable" in maintenance until I've been successful for 10+ years. That fear maybe a good thing.

VSGAnn2014
on 3/22/17 9:58 am
VSG on 08/14/14

What an extraordinary list of scale and NSV victories! Seriously, one of the best First Surgiversary posts I've ever read.

Re maintenance and "fear" -- I'm 2 years 8 months post-op and have been maintaining for 1 year 3 months so far. At this point I certainly don't feel afraid. I do have respect, however, for what's required in maintenance.

For me, much of my own successful maintenance has been about continuing to follow all the rules and behaviors I learned during weight loss. I still track on MFP like a robot. I know that tracking makes some people crazy, but it makes me feel like a rock star and in control.

Maintenance for me has also been a bit like surfing, riding the waves, seeing something coming and calculating how to react / respond to it. It's more unpredictable, sometimes even chaotic, out here in the maintenance swells than it was walking along the beach amongst the little waves. But the longer I ride the bigger waves the better at it I get.

You've done so well at weight loss that you'll surely do great a maintenance. It just takes practice and keeping your eye on the shoreline.

But for now, take a victory lap!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Jester
on 3/22/17 10:34 am
RNY on 03/21/16

A year from now I hope to be making a similar comment on a one year surgiversary post!

Pokemom
on 3/22/17 10:04 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I loved reading this! Even though I am more than two yrs after surgery, I still can use reminders and motivation every day! Reading your enthusiastic post was so motivating for me to keep going and fighting the good fight!

CJ On Orcas
on 3/22/17 10:28 am
RNY on 09/09/16

What a great post, thank you. I am only six months out but I have many of the same victories and trade-offs. You have done such a great job and I will try to do as well ;)

Kristi T.
on 3/22/17 10:37 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Congratulations! I loved reading your post, thank you for sharing!

Heather P.
on 3/22/17 11:24 am

Yay! Congrats! You've done amazing!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active