Beginning Week 4 - and it still hurts to eat!

nightMER
on 3/27/17 12:38 pm
RNY on 03/06/17

alright forum peeps - weigh in.

i'm starting week four and even at lunch today, i'm still feeling like eating "real food" (aka soft foods) is painful. from the first bite.

i immediately feel completely full and some pressure all the way down.

anyone else experience this? this is driving me to liquid protein again, and i'm not sure if this is a negative. isn't the point of eating soft foods to get you used to eating real food? if i drink my shakes, i'm not progressing toward that.

lots of questions.....

Kathy S.
on 3/27/17 12:54 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery! Now please don't take this wrong but call your surgeon, make an appointment to see them. It should not be painful to eat, but you may be pushing it. Everyone is different, I did liquids for 3 months but I had complications. Your surgeon is your best source to answer this question and help you!

Keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

nightMER
on 3/27/17 1:17 pm
RNY on 03/06/17

have my first follow up appointment tomorrow - i guess it's not like PAIN but lots of pressure.

Kathy S.
on 3/27/17 2:02 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I am so glad to hear this and be sure and let them know what you eat and how much and how it's prepared so they will be able to help you. As everyone said they may put you back on liquids but don't worry, it will get better!

Let us know what happens

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

okiepirate
on 3/27/17 1:37 pm
VSG on 11/08/14

When you go see your surgeon, bring some food with you, and eat in front of him like you do normally. I had to relearn how to eat (I bolted my food down). Not sure if that is what you are doing, but it could be in your mechanics (swallowing too hard, getting extra air in). Just a suggestion.

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 2:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Did you have a pureed stage? You might want to go back to that for a week, or do that if you didn't have it.

The stages are set out to apply to the greatest number of people and, really, we're not all the same. Your surgeon's plan might just be a little too fast for your stomach's healing. If it hurts - DON'T DO IT. Revert back to an earlier stage for a few more days and try again.

(And call your surgeon.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GmaDiana
on 3/27/17 4:32 pm

Small bites and eating very slow. I used a baby spoon and would put it down in between bites. Ask Dr what he thinks too.Everyone is always afraid of complications. Be cautious and stay on top of issue but don't panic.

White Dove
on 3/27/17 9:41 pm - Warren, OH

I had no complications, but did not eat solids for the first three months. I had protein shakes, protein puddings, ricotta bake and pureed soups. I treated my pouch like a newborn baby and was in no hurry.

Everybody learns to eat again, just like some babies stay on the bottle longer, but are eating fine when they are adults. It takes about six months for your pouch to become an "adult".

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active