camping, planning to fail

Highfunctioningfatman
on 6/29/17 11:40 am
VSG on 08/29/16

We are planning on going camping this weekend through the 4th. Normally when I went camping previously I always ate "better" than I did at home. It was a time to let loose a little and cook some different stuff than what I normally would. This is my first camping trip since surgery and I found it interesting how my planning has changed. I'm still taking my big 3 burner stove with a cast iron griddle, I love that sucker! I am still going to eat better than regularly but this time it is a little different.

I bought shrimp, steaks, mushrooms onions all kinds of good stuff. I didn't buy breads, tortillas, chips or any of the other nastiness that goes along with carbs and sugars. I am super excited however to cook Gorgonzola steak with mushrooms and onions one of the nights while I'm camping! How things have changed. I'm excited!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 6/29/17 12:57 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

Hmmm. Somehow part of that disappeared.

In my head I was planning on having to shop extremely careful so I wouldn't fail. The old if you fail to plan, you plan to fail thing. It turns out that it was really easy.

CC C.
on 6/29/17 6:26 pm

You sound like a great cook, HFFM!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 6/29/17 6:47 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

Thanks! I really enjoy cooking. Less than a week out of surgery I cooked a meal for 12-16 people. I also love to experiment with my cooking. I joke about it being often imitated, never duplicated, including by me!

Kristi T.
on 7/1/17 9:37 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I remember the pictures you posted of that meal, everything looked amazing!!!

Kathy1212
on 6/30/17 11:25 am

That sounds like fun! I so know what you mean about camping and food. We have a cottage on Lake Superior that we in the north call "camp" and shopping for camp always meant chips, chocolate, roasting hotdogs and marshmallows, making smores, and other treats. I can't do that any more but thankfully can still enjoy the BBQ side of things, with meats, shrimp, fish, etc. My Dad built a cool stone outdoor fireplace and grill and food cooked on a wood fire is so yummy.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Vegbeth
on 6/30/17 5:51 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Your camping trips sound pretty deluxe! My go to camping food is fantastic foods chili mix cooked on one burner backpacking stove. Hope you are have a great weekend.

Most Active