Thoughts on Crystal Light?

MeerKat1994
on 8/26/17 9:41 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Hey guys! So when I was in the hospital for a week I had a hard time drinking water, it just made me to nauseous. That's when I discovered the joys of Crystal Light Lemonade.

Ive never been a person that adds stuff to water. Even post op, I've loved the taste of some ice cold water. But since my latest dialation, it's sooo hard to drink without crystal light.

Ive been trying to do my research on the Crystal Light, and it seems like a lot of people say you shouldn't consume it often. I'm going through two packets a day. It just makes my water intake so much easier for my pouch. Most people are saying the different acids and artificial sweetener it are bad for you and can cause more hunger and brain fog. So far no hunger and no brain fog.

Do you think it really is all that bad for you? Do you drink Crystal Light? Would it be better to just suck it up and drink my water plain or is Crystal Light not that big of an issue? (I know y'all aren't doctors, just looking for additional thoughts)

peachpie
on 8/26/17 10:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

70% of the time I drink water, ice cold. I carry my 40oz bottle everywhere. The other 30% of the time it's crystal light- grape, strawberry or cherry pomegranate- or diet Snapple. Most of that is consumed on the weekends- I probably used 4 packs a day on the Weekends.

I've had no ill effects. No brain fog- and definitely no hunger. The CL flavors I like all happen to have caffeine too. I don't drink coffee so, whatever. I wouldn't make it so that all your liquid intake is from CL, at least 1/2 that, 1/2 water IMO.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

MeerKat1994
on 8/26/17 1:05 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

You're right. I want to work on drinking more plain water again. Good to know you drink plenty of it too! Thanks

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/26/17 12:39 pm - Burleson, TX

Plain water nauseates me, whether it's hot or cold. I use CL, but I put almost twice as much water, as you are supposed to, because that's how I like it. I am under goal, weight wise, and I haven't grown any extra head, or any other body parts, so I'm thinking it's an ok thing

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

MeerKat1994
on 8/26/17 1:02 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Haha! Good to know I won't grow another head, I don't want that extra weight! Lol.

thanks. I double the water in it too. I like it better that way, keeps it from being to sweet.

theAntiChick
on 8/26/17 1:05 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I can't use Crystal Light because it has nutrasweet/aspartame, which is a migraine trigger for me. But I use Mio and other brands of liquid water drops that have splenda/sucralose with no issues. I go through phases... for a long time I'll not want any flavoring in water, then I'll go weeks where I have to have flavor in everything I drink. I personally think anything that helps me get my fluids in without adding calories is a win. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/27/17 6:32 am - Burleson, TX

I used to be the same way. I participated in a medical study, many years ago, regarding migraines and Aspartame. I had sworn off "Blue sugar" forever!

The "Crystal Light" I use now I came upon accidently, at my sister's house. I drink it all the all the time now. It's Great Value brand/Strawberry Watermelon favor. Asparatame is the 5th ingredient, and I'm doubling the water, so maybe that's why it doesn't give me headaches

Just sharing what it does/doesn't do for ME!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

theAntiChick
on 8/27/17 7:18 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I do know that all of my migraine triggers are dose dependent. I can sneak in a nutrasweet soda here and there and not suffer, so long as I haven't gotten into any of my other triggers or don't overdo it. For instance, there's something in the batter at Long John Silvers (not that I eat that anymore, but still...) and I'm fine (or used to be) eating there once every month or so, but if I eat LJS within the same few days as having a nutrasweet soda, I'm toast.

I don't have to be fanatical about staying away from nutrasweet, but where I can find alternatives I always use them so I have a little trigger buffer. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/26/17 3:00 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Ever since surgery, 3.9 years ago, plain water bothers me. There's a whole reason why (ask Grim!) that has to do with the water tension, etc -- but all I know is that adding flavoring to it makes it possible for me to drink like a champ.

I use Crystal Light, Mio, Crush drink powder and some stevia blends --

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MeerKat1994
on 8/26/17 3:35 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

I'm glad to know others use it regularly! Water bothered me right after surgery. Then I was good until my last stricture dialation. Since then I just can't stand unflavored water- hurts my stomach.

I'll have to ask Grim about it, sounds interesting!

Most Active