Hiatal hernia

Cneale72
on 10/5/18 11:33 pm

Hi i had an upper gi today and found out I have a hiatal hernia the radiologist kinda told me about it matter of factly like it was no big deal..says it has nothing to do with my my stomach hurts all the time have nausea and heartburn.. Anyone have a hiatal hernia and not have to do anything about it? Thanks

SweetRide1
on 10/6/18 2:58 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I guess I would have to disagree with the radiologist.

I had a hiatal hernia for years and I did know about it. Severe heartburn, not so much nausea but I did have some pain.

My surgeon repaired it during my RNY surgery.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Haley_Martinez
on 10/6/18 11:45 am
RNY on 05/03/18

I had a hiatal hernia that was discovered at my pre op endoscopy. It was no big deal. It explained a lot of my heart burn lol My surgeon repaired it during surgery and that's that :)

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

NYMom222
on 10/6/18 12:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Hiatal Hernia doesn't directly cause nausea and pain but indirectly.

The sphincter at the base of the esophagus not closing completely allows acid in ie. heartburn. Heartburn can cause nausea and pain.

I live with terrible acid/GERD but do not have a hiatal hernia.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

califsleevin
on 10/6/18 2:54 pm - CA

Was this the radiologist, or the radiographer? Radiographer is the tech is usually does the procedure, while the radiologist is the MD that interprets the images and writes the report. Typically, the tech is not supposed to discuss the results with the patient as they aren't "qualified" to do so (though they see a lot and can have some good insight.) We usually don't see the radiologist (as often as not these days, they are someone in India looking at it over the web) and they do their thing sometime after we leave. But even the radiologist doesn't know the whole story with you, so they are just limited to reporting on what they see in the images, and it is left to the requesting MD to incorporate that report into the rest of whatever tests they may do to come up with a diagnosis.

One of the surgeons the we associate with orders the scans himself, rather than referring his patients to a gastroenterologist or other doc, as he wants to see and interpret the scans himself, not trusting the radiologist's or gastroenterologist's interpretation or experience when it comes to something as obscure as a troublesome WLS configuration.

Classically, heartburn and/or GERD is one of the typical symptoms of a hiatal hernia, though it may or may not be the case in your situation, (one can have a hiatal hernia that is non-symptomatic, so that the distress that you are feeling may be something else,) but that is for your doc to determine.

Given all that, while it's nice to chat with the tech, I wouldn't take their word on what the results really mean for you.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Cneale72
on 10/6/18 4:35 pm

Well I heard the na call him a radiologist and I was wondering why the actual surgeon didn't want to see the upper gi himself you would think he has more knowledge about a gastric bypass patien than anyone else

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/8/18 8:16 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I will also have to respectfully disagree with the radiologist if he claimed that a hiatal hernia has nothing to do with stomach pain, heartburn, or nausea.

My friend's ONLY symptom was horrible acid reflux and nausea (caused by the acid eating her stomach lining) -- and having it repaired relieved all her symptoms.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/8/18 9:32 am - Burleson, TX

If the radiologist thinks/said a hiatal has nothing to do with stomach pain/nausea/heartburn, then he/she has never HAD a hiatal hernia...

Or been in the same room with one

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Ccadieux
on 10/12/18 5:52 pm

Hi, I had one last year, I was operated 3 months after they found it. My sickness went right away. They also did a revision to lose weight did not work.

Most Active