I need some help and advice !

msshelby22
on 2/15/22 9:47 am
VSG on 04/16/21

I am 10 months post of tomorrow and I am having the hardest time keeping on track. I am eating anything I see out on the counter. I have gained 2 pounds and I am so scared to go back to the old me. How can I over come this?

HW 283

CW 192

GW 160

Alexpope
on 2/16/22 7:06 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Hi and welcome. You are still in your honeymoon phase so you shouldn't have that hunger cue yet. What it sounds like is that you may be dealing with emotional eating or eating out of boredom. For me, I had to put trigger foods up and out of sight avoid places that would trigger my desire to eat when not hungry. That happened to me when I started drinking socially and was out with friends at a bar. I attend a support group regularly and I have heard some people talk about redirecting their attention from the food to something else like drinking water, going outside for a walk or I think I have heard some women talk about painting. I myself have not taken up any hobbies since I was able to work through my regain issues that were due to excessive drinking. However I will absolutely take one up should I get to that point again.

The best thing is that you have identified that you are having issues now all you need to do is learn how to manage them to avoid regain and sliding back into old habits.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/16/22 1:07 pm, edited 2/16/22 5:07 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Great advice above and I would second that sometimes just not having things out keeps me on track. Just having to go to the pantry vs grabbing something off the counter is enough of a step to jog me into considering whether it?s head hunger, boredom, etc. staying hydrated helps too. good luck finding what works for you!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Want2beMe
on 2/16/22 5:41 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Try using my fitness pal or another tracking method. Have a daily menu planned out for the day and post it on the RNY daily menu. Allow yourself snacks but pre-plan what snacks your allowed to have and even a set time. You can overcome this by taking a deep breath and putting an action plan in place.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/22 5:42 am, edited 2/20/22 12:26 am

I recovered this autumn because I ate a lot and couldn't stop. During this period, I spend a lot of time at home and ate out of boredom. So I realized that it was time to take matters into my own hands and start doing something so that it would not be too late. I started going to the gym 3-4 times a week, eating more fruit and vegatables, drinking smoothies with vitamin supplements from Canada Drugs, drinking a lot of water and spending a lot of time outdoors. Because of this , I hardly thought about food and so I stopped gaining weight and even losing weight

White Dove
on 2/17/22 11:19 am - Warren, OH

VSG does not really have the honeymoon that RNY does. They absorb every calorie that they eat from day 1. RNY gets about 18 months when we eat and our body does not absorb all of the calories, so we don't gain. The only way to maintain your loss is by counting calories. You need to eat 10 calories a day for each pound you want to maintain. You need to eat 3500 less to lose one pound. If you want to maintain 150, for example, then you eat 1500 per day. If you want to lose a pound a week, you cut to 1000 per day. for males, it is 12 calories per pound. There is no magic and nothing else that works.

There is a 10% bonus if you cut carbs to 20 a day or less. Then you can eat 1650 instead of 1500 to maintain 150.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

southbay311
on 2/22/22 8:49 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

Start charting write down your goals from the beginning. Why did you decide to have surgery, what did you want to accomplish.

10 years ago today I had RNY surgery my BW 326, SW 288 today weight 148. I had a regain of 38 lbs from COVID and hip replacement surgery and lack of mobility. I pulled the reins back and have lost 30 of the regain, 8 more to go. I thought alot about my initial goals that I set. I realized that I had to get serious if I chose to reroute my intestines. That thought always bring reality back.

It's not easy and everyone slips now and then, however you have the power to remember why you chose this path and you can get the motivation back.

Best of luck, you can do this

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active