Recent Posts

gail M.
on 3/22/04 4:11 am - MN
Topic: voltaren
i was switched from vioxx to voltaren a few months ago and really think its better for the pain, etc. does anyone know if i'd still be able to take it after r n y ??
gail M.
on 3/21/04 11:25 am - MN
Topic: RE: Cortisone Shots
hi joan, i just came across this forum and am glad its here. i need to have a knee replaced due to injury/arthritis and have had 2 cortisone shots and the series of 3 hyalgons. the first cortisone shot gave me almost immediate relief that lasted 8 months; the second was half as successful. the hyalgon did nothing......i am hoping the wls will help me stave off the knee replacement surgery. gail
Joan B.
on 3/16/04 1:09 am - Ransomville, NY
Topic: Cortisone Shots
I went to a surgeon yesterday for a second opinion on my knee and he gave me a cortisone shot. My question is how long should it take to feel some relief? I have been told everything from immediate to several days. He believes I do have a meniscus tear besides the arthritis and if the cortisone shot doesn't work then he said I will have to have arthroscopic surgery. I go back to see him in 6 weeks or sooner if the knee doesn't improve but so far it doesn't feel any better. I am anxious to get this taken care of so I can get back to work! Too bad the first surgeon couldn't get past my weight and actually do something to help me! I would just like to know how long cortisone shots have taken to work for someone else! Thanks...
blank first name B.
on 3/9/04 11:39 am
Topic: arthritus in my mid back
i was wondering if any one has had arth and was approved for wls. i also have GERD and depression. my BMI is 37
tisfemin
on 3/2/04 2:24 pm - Gadsden, AL
Topic: RE: this is great!!
Lisa, I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and take Bextra. It has worked great at stopping my pain. I had a great deal of pain in my elbows and heels. I used to ride a bike and run a good bit which might be the cause of this. If I ride now it hurts but I'm sure it has to do with my weight. Christie
Brenda B.
on 2/23/04 11:09 pm - Groton, NY
Lisa I am pe-op and have terrible arthritis, hoping for some relief after losing weight, but I had pain way back in my thin years but I'm optomistic. Right now I take Vicodin and 2 ADVILS twice a day. It doesn't take away all the pain but I'm able to at least function. I'm wondering what I will be able to take after surgery, I can hardly wait to be a loser!! Brenda
Nut Picker
on 2/13/04 8:26 am - Council Bluffs, IA
Topic: RE: Arthritis Meds
Well that's what I thought, I know two other ladies that have Fibro only (right I know ONLY!!!lol) They both have been on low dose pred for a couple of years. So when this doc said this,when she came highly recommended, I was just stunned. Now I am on the hunt again to find a doctor that not only agrees but will actually prescribe it for me. Thanks for the reply and the support. Sue
Pat/Louise W.
on 2/12/04 10:27 pm - Bradenton, FL
RNY on 03/18/04 with
Weight loss is probably one of the best helps for arthritis pain. Also water aerobics specifically for those with arthritis is wonderful. It helps to keep the joints flexible w/o putting strain on them. I too suffer with arthritis and can't wait for my surgery on March 18. 3 years ago I lost 70 pounds and my arthritis pain was just about non existent. Of course I gained it all back and so the pain came with it.
Pat/Louise W.
on 2/12/04 10:22 pm - Bradenton, FL
RNY on 03/18/04 with
Topic: RE: Arthritis Meds
Fibro requires the low dose of prednisone in order for you to function. You should recover from it within 2 years and then can go off the prednisone. It is just a waiting game with that disease. Hang in there.
Nut Picker
on 2/12/04 1:30 am - Council Bluffs, IA
Topic: Arthritis Meds
Hi, I have been told I have RA/OA/Fibro. I had heart surgery in 2002, and since then have had severe flares of pain in the rib cage area. The docs have told me it's chest wall pain and nothing can be done. The rhuemy doc I saw twice, at a different place and is no longer available to me, prescribed predisone, Plaquenial (sp) and Avara. I never started the Avara, there would not have been any monitering, and the Plaquenial I took for 6 months, but was told to stop if I wanted my WLS surgery. I still take the predisone, it seems to be the only thing that helps. My sed rate is really high, my CRP is high, positive RF factor, these results are from 2002, no one has ran any of this blood work since then, the docs I see here tell me it's not necessary. I've tried to wean myself off the predisone, I take 5 mg a day, but the pain gets really intense. The WLS surgeon doesn't address the issue, he has done his work. I'm trying to find a PCP doc, I realize predisone is not a good thing, but for me it's not really a choice right now, till I can find a different way to address the pain, it never goes away, just better some days that others. So would I try a new arthritis doctor, the cardiologist that did the heart surgery told me it had nothing to do with him, the arthritis doc I saw there told me it had nothing to do with her, the last PCP I saw told me it was completely normal everybody that has chest surgery always has pain for the rest of their life, so everybody tells me it's not THEIR area, and I can't get help. Any ideas?? Sue O
Most Active
Recent Topics
Bone Density Low
nesterpoe · 0 replies · 96 views
Intense knee pain?
Nknerr · 1 replies · 2332 views
Butrans patch
mermaidoz · 5 replies · 3540 views
Exercise where to start???
fiercebynature · 4 replies · 4804 views