Help !!!!

Aroysdon
on 7/25/11 9:59 am - CA
I am down to my last 6 lbs. before I can schedule my surgery. I have had many people tell me to take a laxative to drop the last stubborn lbs. I am wondering if I should do this and what is the best thing to use to get it off fast.
acbbrown
on 7/25/11 2:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I hate laxatives, especially the stimulant ones, but im sure that could take off a few lbs.

You might be able to accomplish the same with a liquid diet for a week. I'd opt for that but that's just me.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Brenda C.
on 7/26/11 3:40 am
First of all, only non stimulant laxatives are even remotely safe - so if you really choose this one (I don't recommend it, unless you are constipated) go with either a Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. 

Laxatives dehydrate you, so realize it isn't a cure all for weight loss.  Laxatives are for constipation, and even though I have had it since childhood, I take them VERY sparingly.  I usually poo by the third day, but if I haven't, Miralax to my rescue.

How much weight did your surgeon ask you to lose?  If six pounds is what is left of say 30 - 50 pounds, I am sure the surgeon will give you a "pass" for what you have lost.  Losing weight before surgery ISN'T a test or challenge, it is to ready your body for surgery.  Fatty liver is seriously a pain for surgeons to work on.  I was in the hospital on a forced fast to shrink my liver, as I had caused myself damage from ignoring a bad gall bladder.

BE HEALTHY, if you get it in your head that laxatives are how to "lose weight," you are on the road to an eating disorder.  Part of the TOOL you are about to receive only works if you LEARN how to use it - eat healthy & exercise.

I hope that helps ;)  You are just starting your journey, I wish you much success!
Brenda : )~
Doris Cervenka
on 7/27/11 1:25 pm, edited 8/14/11 10:57 am - Ganado, TX
     Taking Diuretic pills such as(Lasix, or Furosemide) together with Laxatives can damage your heart even kill you.  Especially before surgery.  Please don't lie to your doctor. It seem like a quit way to lose weight fast.  But, their are risk anytime you take more than one medication. Their are any chemical reaction that take place. Especially if you are take anything for High Blood pressure,Have Sleep Apea,  or Have an enlarged heart, or illregular heart beat from years of being over weight.  Laxatives also effect Depression medications.   
       Which most people have because it risk factor for surgery.  Know what Rx Drugs and Over- the- Counter  drugs  your are taking and the side effect, risks, interaction and contraindications for all of your meds.  Laxatives also washout vitamins and potassium from your body. Which you need.  Your doctor may need to do blood test to check your Potossium before surgery.
    The biggest problem is you don't really want to tell your doctor.  Just get the extra weight off.  Quick, Your an adult the risk is up to you. Just be informed.  Small amounts will not usually hurt you.  
I said small amount.     Most Surgeons will not cancell surgery.  If you off by a couple of pounds.  They want to make money.  It is in their best  interest to do the surgery.  But, They also want you to be healthy and honest with them.   
      Before my surgery.  My feet would swell an would easy over night hold up 10 to 20 pounds of fluid on my body.  Exercised really helped and , Doubling up on my Lasix. It  became and everyday thing.  Once start taking your body needs more of it to function.  It the same with Laxatives. 
     I was a medication Aide at a Nursing Home for 18years.  Laxatives are some of  the most abused over- the- counter medication with the Elderly and with people trying to lose weight.  Most Colon cleanses are a waste of money and don't take more than three pounds off .  Which comes back the next time you eat.
   I do have to say.  Now after surgery I never have to take lasix again.  It took about three weeks for legs to shink down after surgery. 

You will to drink enough water and takes Laxatives after surgery.  Just to stop from being constipated.  So I would not start taking them before surgery.
Most Active