300 to lose: Almost three weeks out and crazy weight loss w//VSG....

Heather B.
on 12/17/11 4:13 pm - Wyandotte, MI
Anyone out there had so much to lose with the VSG. I have lost over 40 lbs in less than three weeks. I know I will hit a wall soon but will add excercise and protein. I was just wondering if anyonne has been sucessful with this much to lose and not had the surgery converted later.

Thanks!!

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

WoolyBully
on 12/17/11 9:07 pm - MI
Hi Heather

I can't answer your specific question regarding VSG and high BMI, but I can say if I have read this and other boards a lot, and I believe all types of surgery work, if you work it. Stick with the diet and activity. 

Congratulations on your quick success, now keep it up by adding the exercise. I know everybody is different, but that was the key for me. Exercise, and the do some more exercise.

You and your husband (I read your Blog) are on the start of an amazing journey. Keep the faith, you will be at goal before you know it.

Gary.

Gary

acbbrown
on 12/18/11 12:02 am - Granada Hills, CA
Welcome. Have you checked out the VSG forum? There are a couple "big" losers over there - first one that comes to mind is jimbosvsg. He's lost 330 lbs i think with just the vsg alone. There are a couple others. Vinny is another one.

It is possible to lose that amount without having to convert to a DS but it will take a lot of work and patience. 40 lbs is a great start, and you'll probably lose quickly for a while, but just be prepared for stalls, and an eventual slow down.

I recommend adding exercise as soon as you are cleared by your doc and able to. Since we have so much to lose, its very important for us to preserve what muscle mass we can so that as we get lighter, our metabolism doesnt tank...

Please join us on Mondays for our weekly weigh in/check in and feel free to post often for support. Im hoping maybe this community will become more active soon

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Brenda C.
on 12/19/11 12:40 pm
Honey,

It doesn't take someone showing you the way, by all means - show OTHERS the way!  It has been done, and if you are willing to put the work into this journey, you will see your goal, I am sure ;)

Stay positive, and WOW, 40 in three weeks is FABULOUS!!!!

Brenda : )~
(had RNY a year ago, lost 165 so far)
LaToya S.
on 12/20/11 10:59 am - Edwardsville, IL
I will be three weeks out on the 21st, I am down 34 pounds as of last wednesday (7th), 21 of that is from the liquid diet....I will let you know....

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Krazydoglady
on 12/21/11 4:28 am, edited 12/21/11 4:30 am - FL
Having tracked my weightloss over the last 46 weeks, it's an almost perfect exponential function meaning the rate of loss decreases proportionately to my size.  The correlation is .997.  This is what that looks like on a graph. 

Edit: Vertical Axis: Weight, Horizontal: Days Post-op.

If you follow a similar pattern, you're going to lose a heck of a lot early on and then gradually get slower.I started tracking after I lost the first 32lbs pre-op, but it shows the next 120+ .  I started at a BMI of 51 -- 291lbs, but I"m pretty short.  I exercised and followed (still follow) the plan. Adding strength training helped me maintain my lean mass, and doing lots of cardio just burns calories.   One thing I do that I don't count as exercise but really is exercise, is I get up from my desk 2x a day at work and walk for 10-15 minutes.  Now that's 3/4 a mile, but at first it was less than half.  It helps clear my head although I started those walks early post-op to help reduce the risk of blood clots.  The extra walking is just more calories burned, more muscle maintained.   

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Nanns_Journey
on 12/21/11 8:56 am
 I love what you've done with your data and plotting it on a graph. Did you use MS Excel to do this or something other?

1st Goal 350 

Goal2 299 Goal#3 271 Goal#4 250 Goal#5 225 Goal#6 199  Goal#7 149 

VSG/Dec 7,  2011   5'3"  Female,  HW 399,  SW 371    Target Goal 135 lbs/BMI 23.9
Dec M1-23  Jan M2-15  Feb M3-11  Mar M4-13  Apr M5-13  May M6-15  Jun M7-??  Jul M8-??
Aug M9-??  Sep M10-??  Oct M11-??  Nov M12-??  Dec M1-??  Jan M2-??  Feb M3-??

Most Active