I'm new too!

Nikkal
on 2/23/12 10:34 am
VSG on 07/18/13
decided very recently that I wanted to do WLS, and have been researching like mad.

saw my GP today and he agreed to refer me to the bariatric surgery clinic - yay!

may still be a while (up to a year) before I actually HAVE the surgery, between the tests and the pre-op diet and all that, but hey - assuming the surgeon doesn't turn me down, I'm on track maybe!  Looking at VSG for a constellation of reasons.

I've got about 200 lbs to lose - BMI of about 58.  I'm lucky to be free of comorbidities - I just have a bit of osteoarthritis in my knees (on top of the non-weight related rheumatoid arthritis I have in all my joints), but the OA is getting bad and really interfering with my life.  And so is the fat.  I'm growing weary of having to shop in the US because the one chain here that carries a 30 also carries way too much polyester.  I'm tired of turning down invites to shows I want to see because I know the theatre seats are uncomfortable.  I travel a lot for work (not for the next 2 years or so, yay), and I'm so looking forward to the day I don't need to ask for an extender as soon as I board the plane...

About me - Canadian, West Coaster, female, I'm in my 40s, married (same guy 20 years this fall), no kids no pets no houseplants. Work as an accountant in a sort of non-traditional area. Former office manager, secretary, receptionist, pharmacy technician.  Strong interest in science-based medicine and science in general. Atheist, skeptic, feminist.  Sing in a jewish folk music group and love to sew, cross-stitch, embroider and decorate cakes/cookies. Not a creative bone in my body in spite of that.

Glad there's a board just for us bigger folk...I'm a bit envious of the lightweights who have a shorter road ahead of them...

acbbrown
on 2/23/12 11:52 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Welcome!!!  

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

pixkanaka
on 2/23/12 12:55 pm
 Welcome Nikkal,

I'm new here too.   I should know next month if my insurance has approved my wls.  I'm hoping to be sleeved in April.  I've been married for 27 years.  We chose not to have kids.  I have two dogs.  I wish I could sew.  I just don't have a knack for it.

Pix

dori M.
on 2/23/12 9:51 pm - MD
 Welcome Pix

This is a great place to hang out

Brenda C.
on 2/24/12 5:03 am
On February 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM Pacific Time, pixkanaka wrote:
 Welcome Nikkal,

I'm new here too.   I should know next month if my insurance has approved my wls.  I'm hoping to be sleeved in April.  I've been married for 27 years.  We chose not to have kids.  I have two dogs.  I wish I could sew.  I just don't have a knack for it.

Pix

Welcome aboard Pix!

I live in sin, after being happily divorced for 12 years ;)  VSG is a fabulous surgery, and I wish you the best in getting yours done!

Brenda : )~
Andi-Lynn
on 2/23/12 1:19 pm - TX
RNY on 06/08/12
 Hi Nikkal! welcome!
dori M.
on 2/23/12 9:49 pm - MD
Hi Nikkal

Welcome to the boards. I'm glad you found us.
talula216
on 2/23/12 11:54 pm - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
Welcome

Talula
Starting weight 369

Brenda C.
on 2/24/12 5:01 am
Hey Nikkal --

Very cool name!  I am Pacific Northwest, so kind of in your neighborhood ;)  Canada does have a different set of "rules" about surgery, but I may send you contact information for one of my BC friends - she got her surgery in a matter of months, and I think she was maybe a lower BMI.

I have met a lot of Canadians, as my surgeon/hospital seems to be popular with the Canucks ;)  Be glad you are getting things under control before comorbitities start to rear their ugly head -- that is when I decided I needed to get serious...

Anyhow, welcome aboard, and ask LOTS of questions, better to go into this process with a little information ;)

Brenda : )~
Nikkal
on 2/24/12 9:51 am
VSG on 07/18/13
Coverage for bariatric surgery is relatively new here in BC, as more people learn it's covered, the waiting lists get longer...on the BC board people seeing the same surgeon have seen times change from a few months to a year in a very short time frame.  Like I said in a post below, I don't mind waiting if I have to...I can't afford to jump the queue and cross the border, anyway!

Yay PNW!   I'm down in WA and OR all the time...I have family in both, and spent a few weeks in Seattle virtually every year of my childhood and teen years.  I LOVE Portland - it's so much fun (and OMG POWELLS). Seattle is great too.  Also have family in Spokane, but I've never been out there.

Most Active