protein powders

pamsmpk
on 4/1/16 12:01 pm

I thought I would try to add some protein powder to my mornibg smoothies to get used to the taste. I went to walmart and was overwhelmed by the many varieties.  Looking for recommendations! 

yvonnef1964
on 4/1/16 6:21 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I used body fortress chocolate flavored. It was pretty good. I didn't like 6 stars, it had a funny texture 

jenorama
on 4/1/16 9:14 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Flavors are going to be very subjective, so I don't have any recommendations on that. What I do advise is to focus on the ones that are whey isolate and steer clear of the ones that are concentrate. After surgery, isolate will give you the most protein bang for your buck because it's more easily absorbed than concentrate. I guarantee you that will knock out at least half of the choices. 

If you don't want to get stuck with a tub of something you don't like, check out Vitamin Shoppe if you have a local one. They have a pretty good return policy and sometimes have small sample size packets. 

Good luck!

Jen

NYMom222
on 4/5/16 3:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Both GNC and Vitamin Shoppe will let you return. GNC you get a refund, Vitamin Shoppe you get a Store credit, that being said Vitamin Shoppe has a bigger selection.

I know people do like the Body Fortress, but it is Whey Concentrate I believe. Besides being a better protein source, Whey Isolate doesn't have lactose which can be harder to digest after surgery. Whey Concentrate does. Especially early out when your system is try to figure it all out.

I have to say the ready to drink Premier Proteins are my stand by now, because they are easy to take with me. I think they are a better source of protein than carrying a protein bar. You can buy at Walmart(more expensive but good to see if you like, ...buy by the case at Sams, BJs or Costco. much cheaper.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

pamsmpk
on 4/5/16 3:51 pm

Thanks!!

Chickenboob
on 4/7/16 2:43 pm - Rockland, Canada

Deisel from Popeyes. I HATE protein powder in general, but I like this one it is a New Zealand whey isolate. lots of flavours. I want to try the salted caramel, but I can seem to find it in stores in Canada.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

obioxiupa
on 4/7/16 3:45 pm

I like the CHIKE flavors - I order them on amazon.  They have a coffee flavor (has caffeine) and a strawberry flavor which tastes awesome.

Most Active