Can you build muscle post op?

MyQnA
on 10/30/08 8:04 pm
I read a thread on another site where people were saying a member should not have a RNY because they will never be capable of gaining muscle mass post op.  So, I of course am floored and need to know.  Is my workout in vain?  Is there a limit post op to how much muscle I can gain?

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

Kelly V.
on 10/30/08 10:09 pm - Galion, OH
Well I can tell you that I know for sure I have gained muscle and I have never read that.  However, I have read that women who have had multiple children have a very hard time getting their abdominal muscles back in tack and it is even harder if you have been overweight.   That is why during a TT many PS's will tighten your muscles for you.

Your body will only gain so much muscle.  I am not sure if you are male or female but I can speak in the female tongue that you would never look bulky.  I have been weight training hard core for the last 6 months and even though my weight has only went down 30lbs I can see more in my inches and according to my trainer that is because I am building muscle underneath the fat.  Give it time and that will help me burn off more fat.

I see definition in my arms.  I can see my bicep and tricep muscles (even though I have lose skin around them-only PS will help that).  I can feel muscles in my inner thigh that I have never felt before.  So it does work.   Just be patient.

I feel I have a great start and once some of this extra skin is removed I will see nice results.

I started at 412lbs.  I stopped consistantly losing at 258lbs and the rest I am doing on my own.  I am down to 220lbs and my goal is 180lbs.
MyQnA
on 10/30/08 11:55 pm
Thanks for such an in depth answer.  I am female.  I know my body is shot in a lot of ways from having children.  I also know that I intend to pack on as much muscle as womanly possible before I have plastics.  I too was quite heavy when I started.  Pre op I was 372.  So I don't have to tell you what the skin is like.  Anyway I am glad I am not the only one using weight training as a way to stay fit.  Although I want to take it to another level we will see.

~Maxine

Kelly V.
on 10/31/08 12:44 am - Galion, OH
I will tell you something that may be a bit TMI but since I started lifting 6 months ago my breasts have raised.  Yes they still are long but I measured from my shoulder to my nipple and they have come up 2.5 inches which absolutely shocked me.  Weight training is the key.

I added HIIT to my routine (I HATE CARDIO-so this is the way to go for me) and that has really helped and gave me the boost I needed.  It has been 6 months and I have yet to hit a plateau.  I have about 40lbs more to lose.
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/08 5:32 am - FL
Don't believe them!  I'm 50 years old and lift weights three times per week.  Not to bragg---but I am buff!  I have lots of muscle everywhere!  I'm amazed!  It's the first time in my life that I can say this.  Your workout is not in vain.  Keep going!
MyQnA
on 10/31/08 5:47 am
Thanks for that...I have been trying hard and didn't want to think this was for nothing.  I mean I am not "buff" but I still see the changes.  Great to know other women are kicking butt with weights too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Can you build muscle post op?
MyQnA · 5 replies · 1319 views
Dead Board?
the7thdean · 0 replies · 505 views