Pain...Plz Help!!!

Holly M.
on 3/11/10 2:54 am
I am 4 years post op lap rny.  Over the past few months I have been experiencing periodics bouts of pain and agony.  I have no insurance at this time so I figured I would just describe my symptoms and ask for feedback.

So about every 5 or 6 weeks I become extremely constipated.  My belly feels tight and very uncomfortable.  I'll have bouts of pain and occasional vomitting after eating.  It's like nothing is moving down no bm's or passing of gass but lots of burps. After a few days of these symptoms it turns to terrible diarrea.  It's so bad I cannot leave the house for a day or two.  I contiue to feel terrible for a few days; lathargic, upset stomach, pain.

I have had pain bad enough to make me wanna go to the ER but I have avoided it because I dont wanna pay to be looked at by a dr. that has no experience with rny and will probably just send me home with a bottle of pills.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it! ~Alan Kay
Hugs,      
  ~Holly

Butterfly Reborn
on 3/12/10 4:39 am

I'm sorry you're hurting.  Been there and done that!

Can you go see your WL surgeon?  Perhaps he'd see you at a reduced rate since you are his patient?  Otherwise, a gastrointerologist is in order.  It could be numerous things -- one of them being a bowel obstruction (yes -- even though you are passing gas and having diarrhea.  Google "bowel obstruction" and read up a bit.  A BO could become fatal and you should see a doctor as soon as possible. 

I'm not saying that you have that but you do have symptoms.  It could be IBS, a bacterial imbalance, and a plethora of other possibilities.  Pain is a sign that something is wrong.  You should see a doctor as soon as possible.

I hope you feel better soon!  

I have two sides to my brain - a right side and a left side.  The trouble is sometimes there is nothing left in the right side and nothing right in the left side.
Post-Op RNY 6.5 years
HW 252  GW 140 CW 140

hamptons11937
on 3/12/10 8:17 pm - East Hampton, NY
I'm a newbie and have no real advice except to say I hope you feel better. 
 Kim                 
foxbt0
on 3/15/10 12:25 pm
Holly,
I had the same thing and it ended up being a internal hernia, same day surgery corrected it.  I can't say that is it, but please don't put it off.  You don't want to risk anything, and I was able to go home the same day.  Beth

cj29
on 3/18/10 7:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
This past couple weeks have been HELL for me...It started with MAJOR pain in my stomache and it was sore to touch - I would tear up. I know the importance of going to the doctor and I thank GOD I have insurance - good insurance to cover the ever so rising medical costs. I ended up going to the ER last week - all they did was some blood work - came back all normal and said I "might" have a viral stomache infection. I followed up with my doctor due to four days of pain, constipation and weight loss (-8lbs). My PCP said it was my diet and told me to take stool softners and Phillips MOM. The pain got so sever, that when I ate - I was crying afterwards and then it would disapate 30-60 minutes after a pain med was taken. I was then sent for a CT scan - Normal. WOW! So then I saw a TV ad for Dr. John Alexander here in Dallas, TX who takes Gastric Bypass patients for revisions. After speaking to him - we scheduled a endoscopy next Saturday 03.27th. He is 90% sure due to my "flobe" banding w/the gastric bypass 15-20% of patients have dillticulume - which causes the small intestine to streech and will lead to a revision and removal of the banding. More disheartning news - My 1st Gastric Bypass Doctor - Dr. Steven C. Simon out of Phoenix, AZ when on medical leave in November '09 and never came back to his practice. Now, feeling abandonded and concerned that if I need to have a bowl movement - I must take MOM. Plus, all my diet is now soft foods like bannanas, yogurt, yogurt, yogurt, bread and soups - with a pain med before I eat for fear of the pain coming back. My new WLS - Dr. Alexander - states the other 10% could be a hernia or ulcer - but the endoscopy will determine the cause.

Does anyone have any suggests or advise to share?

Thank you,

CJ
Gus H.
on 3/24/10 1:46 am - La Puente, CA

It could be that you may be experiencing a blockage.  You need to seek medical attention because it could be life threatening.

I had similar symptoms and continue to do so once in a great while.  All test done have not shown that I have a blockage but the pain is BAD! My doc think that the blockage is not enough to show in the CT Scans.  Good luck because pain is no fun!

mew6495
on 4/3/10 8:47 am - MI
 I had the same symptoms.  I would get very bad pains in the abdomen and sometimes it would take up to 3 days of excruciating pain before it would ease up.  I let it go.....bad mistake on my part....I ended up finding out that I had a bowel obstruction where my intestine would actually flip over and kink up.  Once it "un kinked".  The pain would subside....until the next time.  

I had surgery for other reasons which they fond this condition along with some adhesions and corrected it.  I can't say for sure that this is what you have but there is a higher likely hood of bowel obstructions, hernias and adhesions in wls patients.

Good luck to you.

Most Active