2.5 years since I had my RNY REVERSED

reversedgrace08
on 6/16/11 12:20 pm
reversing my RNY was THE BEST thing I could have done. It has stopped the downward spiral my health and even restored some of my ailments.
yes I gained my weight back, but i also gained my life back. now i have the possibility of being here to see my children marry and graduate from high school and maybe one day grandchildren to love. if i didnt have the reversal it is very likely i wouldnt be here now to type these words that i hope will help somone see they are not alone.

here is a study showing just SOME of the possible complications from bariatric surgery.
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/21/1843

if anyone would like to talk you are more than welcome to email me at [email protected].

Grace
RieBello2
on 6/17/11 1:02 am - Mount Clemens, MI
I'm on that downward spiral! I want mine reversed as well-my weight is 105lbs and I feel just awful every freaking day....no energy, no appetite, and I feel depressed. I can't even look at myself in the mirror at times, I don't want to see my bones sticking out at me. I see my doctor next week and just want to end before i lose my mind. Thanks for sharing and I hope the best for you.
                                                                          Marie
reversedgrace08
on 6/25/11 8:27 am
Marie
Just don't give up on finding help. I had to go thru 12 different doctors before I got the help I needed. I know how the unrelenting fatigue and depression can make you want to give up. Not to mention the vomiting, pain, mental fog and so on. It can all be maddening.
I live in Colorado and had to fly to NY to get my reversal/takedown. Many bariatric surgeon either won't do it or don't have the training to perform the takedown. It took 3.5 years of me suffering and my family suffering along with me and by the time I had my takedown, while I felt MUCH MUCH better and it stopped the downward spiral, I do have residual neuro damage. Peripheral neuropathy is now a constant reminder of my rny.
Now tho, I can live again. No more vomiting depression insane levels of fatigue.
Basically my food goes into my the rny created pouch and theres a large connection from that to my remnant stomach so i still get full pretty easy when I eat good foods, lean meats veggies and fruit. the rest of my digestive track is reconected and working.
the surgeon that did my reversal did TWO others that same day and we were ALL from different states.
don't give up Marie.
you can email me whenever
[email protected]
Grace
RieBello2
on 6/26/11 11:02 am - Mount Clemens, MI
 Grace,
 Thankyou so much for replying back to me. most people don't even want to talk about reversals! I went to my personal dr on Friday and broke down crying right in front of her! She immediately called my surgeon, but was unable to contact him...she agreed that my weight, and ill feelings were justified. As for my surgeon. well he says he's only done one reversal in his time of practice...LOL. Not funny to me, but if he can't or won't I will seacrh  on my own for my life's sake. My husband wanted to ask did you have to pay out of pocket for your reversal? I have Medicare and I really think my surgeon is going to step around the subject of reversal. Like you my family is watching me suffer and my husband told me today that he was so worried that he can't think straight....isn't that just awful?
reversedgrace08
on 6/26/11 11:19 am
my insurance at the time had out of network benefits so I just paid the deductibles. since i live in colorado and had to fly to ny it was waaaaaay out of network. 
if there is a way you can get it local, great, but if not I would definately check out alternate routes. I know there is a place in san fransisco that has a lot of experience with reversals. what I did was send my medical records to the surgeon in ny and after some phone conversations with the surgeon and his office I flew out to have it done. they took tons and tons of tests and understandably even tho I had aready taken some of them before, the doc wanted to know for himself and be prepared before they go in to perform the takedown.

email me so I can give you some more info
[email protected]

Grace
p.s.
I couldnt think straight for at least 2.5 years before my reversal.
jcastro
on 6/30/11 5:03 am
I was reading your post and you are so right.  I am scheduled for a reversal/revision on the 19th of July.  I have made the rounds of all the doctors, and have a very understanding surgeon and family dr.  I worked with the insurance and surgeon on getting medicare to pay for it.  They could not find a pct code for a reversal/takedown but did have a code for the revision.  All in the wording,  my surgeon said he has done about 20 of the reversals and warned me what is ahead.    I hope you soon find a resolution.
RieBello2
on 6/30/11 9:28 am - Mount Clemens, MI
 I got my labs back and was told now I have hyperthyroid...which is making me nuts with fatigue, irritablility and rapid heartbeat. I see my original surgeon July 25th and with my husbands input we're going to ask for a reversal. I realize by just asking doesn't mean he's going to agree that my health is deterioating. When do they consider it to be warranted? Thankyou for letting me know about your takedown and I will keep you posted as to my outcome.
jcastro
on 7/2/11 4:03 am

If you are feeling like that get help now.  I was passing out and falling.  The fatique is really bad, it's being awake but my eyes wouldn't stay open.  I waited almost too late and things got so bad that I thought I can't live like this.  I kept thinking I would rebound. All the Dr's agreed that it was best to  do the reversal/takedown.  I agreed that I knew no alternative if I wanted to live.  One thing is brusing or skin tearing to watch out for.  Even tho my labs/protein is on the low side it is normal.  There doesn't seem to be the best information on the net about reversals/takedown.  It is tabu and not talked about.  I hope this finds you doing better and if not make sure you really have a serious talk with your surgeon.  I will try to keep you posted.

RieBello2
on 7/3/11 2:37 am - Mount Clemens, MI
 Thankyou for supporting me, it's been a ride and not one I want to be on much longer!  The fog I feel in daily is unbelievable. I am so hard to get up and moving, but the lack of energy has turned me into an anxious, irritable meany. I'm hanging in there for my family sake.
reversedgrace08
on 7/7/11 6:14 am
I also have hypothyroidism. I do pray you feel better with meds but if you don't, please don't take too long seeking a reversal, nor let them talk you into a revision. Often times the surgeons will blame a bevy of other things before they admit its the wls itself.
I know personally, that even when my.thyroid was running 7x.slower that it should have been the fatigue I felt then cannot compare to.the unrelenting, intense fatigue I felt post rny.
Grace
Most Active