motility issues/severe constipation after RGB

pelztier86
on 7/8/11 5:21 am
Hi all,

I am going to have the Roux GB for duodenal reflux done, without the malabsorbtive and gastric restrictive component.
So my biliopancreatic limb will be 30-40cm and my roux limb 40-50cm, attached to the intact stoma in continuity with a very short duondenal stump (2cm)

I have a severe underlying motility diease of the entire digestive tract, also meaning gastroparesis and small bowel dysmotility (have no colon any more and have to wear a permanent bladder catheter).

I read that some people do get motility issues/gastroparesis and or severe constipation afterwards. can anyone tell me the incidence of these issues after GB cause in the literature you dont find this complication mentioned very often?
Also, I would like to hear the experience of someone who noticed worsening or got motility issues following GB

Thanks
vitalady
on 7/22/11 8:54 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I did not have those issues, but will post my formula in case it might help you at all.

Also, you will have SOME malabsorption, so should supplement as if you were WLS person. Your duodenum will still be bypassed, resulting in issues with iron, calcium, B12, folic, all the fat solubles, zinc and magnesium.

Any of these are what I use:

1.) Gaspari Myofusion double chocolate or chocolate peanut butter OR a combo
of those 2 with 6-8 oz water + about 1/2 **** I use a Magic Bullet or a
hand blender. Full sized blenders double the size of my drink and make me
burp too much! Using this method, I get a thicker or thinner Wendy's Frosty
type drink, depending on the ice/water ratio
2.) Champion Pure Whey Stack choco + 6-8 oz water, shaken.
3.) IDS vanilla-cinnamon + "glop" of DaVinci sugar free caramel sauce + 8 oz
water + ice, blended.
4.) the PWS chco + the van-cin (50/50) in about 10 oz ho****er, stirred or
hand blender.

They deliver 30g protein, less than 3g sugar, less than 200 calories, when
made with water.

Lately I've been adding a shake of cinnamon to my hot ones since cinnamon
fights belly fat.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

vitalady
on 7/22/11 8:55 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Well, THAT was helpful. I'll leave it for when you find you need protein, but THIS is the formula to which I referred.

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are 30 servings per bottle, but somebody can't count. Me or them? I use only one, but if I spill or get too much, I still have enough to last til next refill.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

rbb825
on 8/9/11 10:19 pm - Suffern, NY
Sorry TMI = I do have some type of motility disorder but never specifically disagnosed.  Prior to my gastric bypass I had IBS so bad, that I had diahrea really bad, sometimes everyday so it didnt' affect me that bad.  When I didn't have the diahrea, I had to push the stool out by pushing on the skin on the outside of my rectal area and if that didn't work, I would actually have to use my fingers and pull it out .  It was really gross but it didnt' happen very often.  My aunt actually told me she was the same way.  So, I didnt' think anything of it and it was only once in awhile.  Well, then my gastric bypass happened and my IBS went away and constipation set in.  I now couldn't go on my own anymore.  I had to use my fingers all the time.  My GI doctor didn't seem concerned - my colonoscopy was normal.  I was normal though - more normal than ever - when ever I drank my protein shakes, within a half an hour, I had to go.  This was either once or twice  a day and I never went that often in my life, so I thought things were good - just gross.

Then all of a sudden one day, things stopped. I drank my shake and nothing happened.  3 days went by and nothing.  I tried dulcolax and nothing and the next day I tried an enema.  It was now Sunday night.  I waited until Monday morning - now 5 days and lots of pain.  Called my GI doctor and he had me come right in and sent me for a CT scan. Before I could even get home, he called to say I had to get immediately into NYC to my surgeon for emergency surgery - I had a bowel obstruction and internal hernia.  That was the beginning a 5 months of hell and 4 surgeries = perforated colon, septic, illiostomy, illiostomy reversal.  I haven't been same since.

I was told about 10 years after another abdominal surgery that I had a mild case of gastroparesis but it was always controlled with reglan. They took me off of the reglan when I had these surgeries this past winter though.  Since all this, I am left with constant diarhea - no more constipation.

I don't know anything about the type of surgery you are having and how it will affect you but if you have any of the side effects that we get, constipation is definitely a problem for most of us and if you already have a motility problem, then I am not sure of the purpose

Most Active