anyone with severe abdominal pain

pelztier86
on 7/10/11 6:49 am
hi,

reading several posts mentioning severe abdominal pain after RGB that seems to be unexplainable I was pretty shocked. Not that much because several people do have these issues but the docs dont know what do or at least what the problem is and simply denie it.
I have been going through this ordeal for a long time, thought with a totally different issue. (have no overweight and consider DS or GB as treatment of reflux).
But the culprit in my story was that I have a very rare intestinal diesease only very few docs are aware of.

So I am shocked that an actually pretty known problem after roux gastrojejunostomy which is a major component of the RGB weight loss surgery is obciously not recognized.
Abominal pain, nausea, vomiting, distension can be all part of the roux syndrome. just gogle it and you wil find numerous articles.
In this syndrome, gastric emptying and/or roux limb transit is disturbed/slowed.

hope ithis help someone.

Gus H.
on 7/14/11 12:28 am - La Puente, CA
Could it be a kink or bowel obstruction?
severman
on 8/10/11 3:54 am - Indianapolis, IN
 So what is the name of the rare disease you have?  I have now been diagnosed with Blind Loop Disease.  It is where a section of my bowel becomes paralyzed and bacteria grows sometimes leading to a bowel obstruction.  I had surgery a year ago and seem to be doing better now.  I was just curious.  I still have the chromic abdominal pain that they say is from the eight abdominal surgeries that I have had due to my roux en y.

Stephanie E
Dave_K
on 8/31/11 3:04 pm, edited 8/31/11 3:42 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
I have a horror story for you.

I was having abdominal pain about 4 years after surgery and I actually had intestinal malrotation caused by a Petersen's hernia where the small intestine wrapped around the large intestine and strangled the large intestine. I was about 2 hours from death when I had emergency bowel resection surgery losing 20 cm of small intestine and additional weight loss to 30 pounds BELOW my goal weight. I have recovered somewhat but my nutrition is all messed up. Apparently there is a fairly common problem with Petersen's hernias that I never imagined I'd have to deal with.

Get an MRI or a scan of your abdomen if pain persists at all but be aware the Petersen's hernias are usually not seen in an MRI or a scan. Mention your WLS to your doctor and mention a possible Petersen's hernia. I thought my pain would magically go away after a few days but it didn't and waiting almost killed me.

Good luck & God Bless!!

Dave
317/165
Most Active