Any ideas?

mizcheez
on 10/23/11 3:37 am
I had a laparoscopic RNY reversal August 17th after 13 years, due to severe malnutrition/weight loss.  The other day, I noticed that I now have a large (approximately 5" long, 1 1/2" wide) oval lump, for a better word, under the skin in my mid abdomen.  It doesn't hurt.  It doesn't go away, so I don't think it's a hernia.  I'm not having any other symptoms.  It's hard, and not movable.  Scar tissue, maybe?  I'm going to call the doctor's office tomorrow and have it checked out, just to make sure everything is okay, but has anyone had a similar experience?  My surgeon had to do a lot of repair work during my reversal.  There was a lot of scar tissue, my intestines had shifted out of place, and there was a mesynteric opening.  It's easy to get scared about lumps and bumps.  Thanks so much for your input.

Viv Cheeseman
jbird1972
on 10/24/11 5:31 am - Cary, IL
Viv,
I think you are right to get it checked out ASAP...especially if this is a new development that has just popped up.  Good luck and feel better!!
Jules

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

mizcheez
on 10/24/11 6:43 am
Thanks so much, Jules.  I called the doctor's office, and he's going to see me tomorrow. I think I'm just fine, but I'll feel better when I know it's a nothing kind of thing. 

It looks like, from your posts, that you have literally been through the ringer!  I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible time.  I hope you get some "down" time from your pain.  I have some chronic pain (arthritis/degenerative disc disease/sacroiliitis,) though absolutely nothing like what you've been through.  There's such a delicate balance between acknowledging the chronic nature of that pain, and trying to not succumb to it, emotionally or physically.  I always feel like it's so b-o-r-i-n-g to other people if they ask about my progress, and I tell them.   I'm grateful to this forum for that reason. 

Thanks for your support.  Keep us posted, and I'll do the same!

Viv
Viv Cheeseman
Original Open RNY Date 12/97
Lap Revision Date 8/17/11

Highest Weight 232 lbs.
Lowest Weight 94 lbs.
Current Weight 106 lbs.
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/31/11 8:01 am
Hope yu are OK.  update?  (((HUGS)))

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mizcheez
on 10/31/11 10:55 pm
Thanks for asking, Hala!  I have grandbabies visiting, so I've been a little flying woman and haven't done anything but chase diapers!  It's amazing that I have the energy to do that!  :)  Actually, I think I'm fine.  The surgeon said that the lump is inside the muscle itself.  I had guessed scar tissue, and that's what he said, too, except  he also said, "Hmmm.  You had mesh, didn't you?"  I don't have a clue whether I had mesh or not, but I guess that would make sense.  Anyway, it doesn't hurt at this point---just a pinch or tug every once in awhile.  I go back to the doctor in a couple of months for him to recheck.

Now I'm just trying to find my place in my new reversed world.  I'm fine, except everytime I see half a pound up on the scale, I have a minor freak out session.  I have so much to learn about how my body works.  One weird thing---I'm no longer lactose intolerant!  So interesting.

Are you trying to lose more weight, or is it just happening?  I haven't read your story, but I will.

Viv
Viv Cheeseman
Original Open RNY Date 12/97
Lap Revision Date 8/17/11

Highest Weight 232 lbs.
Lowest Weight 94 lbs.
Current Weight 106 lbs.
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/1/11 12:12 am
Hi Viv. Thanks for updating. Glad you are doing better.
As for me... I got to my goal...and the doc goal.. But at 50... at 143 lbs I got down to size 4... It did not feel good,a and I looked too thin, too old (hanging skin). I have large frame, proportional build, with boobs... I had no butt to sit on.
I wanted to gain 10 -15 lbs... I gained 25+... I got to size 8-10.  That was a bit too heavy for me... (vanity). So now - I try to lose the extra, and get back into large 6- small 8s.  I think I am there.. lol.. 
I do feel good and look OK.  so the motivation to lose the weight and really work hard on it - is not there... I think you know what I mean.   
So far so good.  This morning I tried on some of my size 6's - and some fit snag, but comfortable, and others - do not fit (yet...lol). So that;'s my story. 
I do deal with RH - reactive hypoglycemia. From mild to severe... depends on the day... (i.e. most carbs - even the good ones may make me get the RH - i.e oatmeal).  Life...
If you wantto read my story - you will have to friend me... my blog is only available to friends. Sent you a request.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jbird1972
on 11/2/11 1:49 pm - Cary, IL
Viv,
I'm glad to read that everything is ok :) Thank you for your words of encouragement, I do feel so grateful as well for this forum to unload every now and then.  I also have found that it can be a way to reach out to others who may feel that they are alone in these complications.  I felt that way for awhile.  I wish there weren't others who have such a hard time, but I am thankful that there is a place for us.  I'll add you as a friend so we can keep an eye on eachother :)
Stay well!
Jules

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

saltedintheshell
on 4/7/12 7:47 am - baxter, MN
 When I first found out I had an adominal hernia I too just felt a lump, No pain but it felt gross when I would go to sit up (I was actually going to a gym at this point lol) and if I put my hand on my stomach I could feel it bulge out. Anyway I would get a second opinion not to sound mean but it does not sound like your Dr. is taking you serious enough. A lump definantly is not normal and if it was scar tissue I wouldn't think it would be very large I have had 8 adominal surgerys and I have alot of scar tissue the thing is when my surgeon opened me up to fix my hernia he found 2 more that we did not know was there due to the build up of scar tissue. You also want to make sure your not haveing a problem with your bowels I don't know anything about this but I would check all avenues before assuming its no big deal. Shame on your DR. for not being more concerned with your well being.
 If all the world were blind I wonder how many people would still get this surgery?    
Most Active