touchy subject- vaginal skin issues

lisalisa1894
on 1/2/12 1:40 pm

Need help!   I had weight loss surgery on March 28th 2011.  I have lost 100 lbs so far.  I am having some symptoms that are driving me crazy- I'm having vaginal and anal itching and burning.  I have tried every over the counter medicine out there- for yeast infection and jock itch to coconut oil and vinegar, to diaper rash ointment and gold bond medicated powder.  I went to my gynecologist and she prescribed a steroid cream, which helped during the treatment, but the itching came right back when the treatment was over.  She diagnosed lichen simplex cronicus-which is a thickening of the skin caused by an itch/ scratch cycle,  but said that my problem was not chronic b/c this is the first time I've ever had this issue, and that it probably started as a yeast infection.  ( well, even though I started out using the medicine for a yeast infection, I now know that was not the problem- any of us women who have had one knows what it is..., and this is very different)  I know it has to do with the weight loss, but there's not a lot of information even on the web, and I'm at a loss.  I really need some advice, and I'm hoping that maybe someone out there has had the same issues and knows what will work. Please help!!!
Alyson M.
on 1/9/12 4:38 am - Dennis Port, MA
have you posted this on the Sex Before and After board? You might have more luck on there since it is technically a sexual issue as well. Good luck hon!

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

kirby1dog G.
on 1/12/12 9:24 pm
 Hello,

I appreciate how hard it is to reach out like this.  You have my sympathies but you're smart to ask the community.  The docs often rush you out the door---jmo.  My question to you is are you having extreme constipation with compacted stool?  The pressure can tear genital tissues that pave the way for all sorts of infections well beyond the usuals.  And yes, the steroid cremes and all the rest might provide temporary relief.  Anyway, just a thought.  Can't imagine why it came to mind  .
Cathy S.
on 4/4/12 9:05 am
Have you had any luck with a solution to this?
I am 2 years out from a RouxNYand I have had the the same itching/burning issue for 9 months and I am seriously becoming psychotic over it. The pain and burning and itching cannot be described. I use baby wipes and witch hazel wipes only, no soap in that area in the shower. I have tried Balneol cleansing lotion, witch hazel (that's a real treat), Gold Bond Medicated itching cream (the menthol adds a nice touch of Medieval suffering), Benadril cream, anti-itching cream, Prep H, cortisone cream, to name a few. I have eliminated all but the blandest of foods; no seeds, nuts, no onions or tomatoes, I drink less than 1/2 caf coffee- maybe 2 cups a day. I graduated from Nexium to Dexilant (since I had a bleeding ulcer last year). I had a colonoscopy in January and the doctor said it's Priuritis Ani, a benign itch. I do not buy it. Nothing I do relieves it.
I'm hoping you have heard of something.
Cathy        
Most Active