Update from day 1 at Cleveland clinic (day 1 from this trip)

jbird1972
on 4/10/12 12:56 am - Cary, IL
 Tests/doc appts over for today, I barely made it. I was so sick from the oral CT contrast (which I syringed into my g-tube-1000ml worth in 25 minutes), and by the time I saw my surgeon, Dr. Kroh, the misery was written on my face. The CT results weren't ready yet, but pending anything bizarre I'm fairly certain we are going the surgical route of removing the rest of my stomach and bringing up a piece of small intestine up to meet it (bypassing the stomach) and he said the j-tube would be placed as a back-up nutrition method, but as long as things were getting better 4-6 weeks out he would remove that feeding tube. He is leaving the g-tube in for now, he would remove it during the surgery. I'm still seeing the GI doc Thursday, but those 2 have already spoken and they are on the same page. Once I decide for sure, I will call the surgeon and schedule surgery.  Yes, my anatomy will be back to gastric bypass days, but he reminded me that he did not do my original surgery and he feels that this is my only true shot at a more normal life...it won't be perfect, life never is, but better :) I had a similar conversation with neurosurgeon about my stimulator for the abdominal pain. I'm going back to his office Wednesday to see if a re-programming will make it work again around the wire disruption, if not, I have two choices: 1) Thinking about when it was working well, and at one point it was helping, they can do an open surgery on my back to replace the thin wires with a thicker paddle lead and regain function of the system. If it can be saved, I'm leaning this direction.  2) cut my losses if I am not confident that it's worth saving and have surgery to remove it.  I will know more Wednesday and the surgeon already told his PA that whatever I decide to just put me on schedule and the surgeon can consent me over the phone.  Oh, decisions decisions...the misery I am feeling physically today, and most days, is a good reminder that I can't keep doing this. I need a shot at getting better, we have tried time and medication and they are not working.  I'm worried, ok convinced in my own mind, that I will lose my job if I have to be off work again after surgery. I have a great manager and awesome co-workers, but I know the reality is that they needed me and they hired me to be there, it will just be really hard for me if that happens. I just have to look to the future and the potential to be better than I am now after the 6 weeks of recovery time.  I'm hoping I feel better after some rest & medication, but I wanted to give you guys an update

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

Most Active