Spinal cord stimulator needs to be replaced

jbird1972
on 4/11/12 4:17 am - Cary, IL
 The rep from Boston Scientific and the physician assistant spent about 45 minutes trying to use the laptop to program around the lead that has migrated. They discovered that since the last re-programming, I have lost 2 more points of contact, so I'm missing 3 out of 16. This translates to less function and reduced ability to program. They are attributing this to the migrating leads (not enough fat to keep them anchored...insert irony here), and the system I have uses smaller, more flexible wires. It was a rough 45 minutes, the only way I can describe it is if you got a repeated static charge that was running down my legs to my feet, and it was also up into my ribs/chest. So, I decided (based on the good result I had for the time it was working) that it was worth saving. I don't have a date (waiting for insurance approval), but I did my anesthesia pre-op survey. It would have to be an open back surgery, the new system has the benefit of larger, flat (paddle) leads, but cannot be done percutaneously (through the skin) as the first ones were. I know it's a risk, but it's surgery either way, to either remove or revise, and it's worth it to get a working system back in place. The pain that this is for is the constant, visceral pain; even if I end up having another abdominal/GI surgery, that surgery is to restore the function of my digestive system and hopefully get rid of pain/nausea associated with food. I know it's confusing, it's two different issues caused by the same problem.  GI is tomorrow, I think I will have a clear direction after that appt for the other surgery.

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

Most Active