Hi - New here

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 6:26 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12
Just thought I'd check in here since I had my RNY back on 2/29. I did have many complications from mine and spent a lot of time in the hospital from then until about a week ago. I don't remember much and the family and doc think that's a good thing. Here's what I can tell you...

The initial surgery was uneventful, but I somehow managed to knock a suture loose on my stomach. That gave me a world of pain and sent me back to the hospital for a second surgery to clean up the area. That was back in March. Also in March, it was found that the stomach left behind was dying and trying to take me along with it. I had emergency open surgery to remove the stomach and clean out the infection I now had. I've spent the last several weeks in ICU and only got upgraded and discharged on 4/13. I have come home to a PIC (IV line) line still in me as well as an abdominal drain. I'll have the drain for about another 3 weeks and will hopfully be off of TPN (food through IV) in the next week.

Right now I'm in the process of re-introducing clear liquids to my diet. It has been hard. I'm so afraid of something else going wrong that I'm reluctant to put something different in my tummy. Has anyone else been in this position? How do you get past it?

Right now I'm still in some pain from some additional work my surgeon did on my incisions this past Thursday. Apparently, things were not healing the way they should and he had to cut me a little and remove some sutures. So I am sore. It also doesn't help that I still have the abdominal drain in and the nurse "anchored" it down with so much tape that it honestly hurts. Fentinol (sp?) pain patch is not really working either. Sucks!

Anyway... going to drink some beef broth now. Hopefully this sits well with me and I can move forward. Please say a prayer for me. I need all the healing prayers I can get right now. Thanks!

jbird1972
on 4/24/12 10:54 am - Cary, IL
 Rika,
I hope the broth went down ok, and that you are on the mend, you have been through a lot, a really rough start. I think all of us on here, and probably others who haven't found us yet, have had some tough roads, so I'm glad you found us to help you through this and know you are not alone. Please keep us updated, and keep taking slow sips as you can :)
Jules

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 9:44 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 02/29/12
Thanks, Jules.  Aside from a little pain where my abdominal drain still is I'm doing better.  Back to my sugar-free popsicle! :)

Most Active