Feeling like I'm going crazy.

foundthesun
on 5/3/12 3:44 am, edited 5/3/12 3:47 am - NJ
 This is more a rant than anything else. I've been dealing with pain in the area people keep claiming can be a Petersen's hernia...except it likes giving me pain sometimes in my back and arm as well. Nausea pops up randomly just to say hi, I guess. I can get food and pills down but sometimes I feel sick afterwards. Doc sent me to get an endoscopy last week and that came out clean except he found a surgical staple in some area of my stomach. I forget where, I think it was just the pouch. He tells me to call him if the pain is still there, I say okay, fine. I give it a few days, assuming some pain/nausae is expected after an endoscopy. But the pain I've been having (left side, upper area just under the breast, plus pain in the back/arm at times) is still there on Monday, so I call the office.

Doc is out for the entire week. His back-up doesn't take my insurance, so I can't go to him, because he's way beyond what I can afford.

I have an anxiety disorder. To say this has been a nightmare is putting it lightly. I ended up going to the ER on Monday, at the same hospital I went to for my surgery. They did a CT scan and cleared me of anything but a slightly enlarged spleen and apparently I have had a UTI for a month (I went through one round of meds last month for it and it apparently never went away). I was given different meds (I initially had cipro) for the UTI and while I do at least feel a little better, the pain still pops up randomly. People describe it as severe when I read stories about it, the pain is tolerable but constant when it happens. I haven't vomited yet, and there's no obstruction that can be seen by the CT scan, at least, but I've read that might not matter with this hernia. I tried asking about the Petersen's hernia and the ER doctor said he didn't think I have it. I just wish my doctor was back, I'm seeing him ASAP next week to see what steps to take. My PCP suggested it might be my vagus nerve to explain my symptoms, but I don't know if that's the case.

My general symptoms are pain in the left upper area and sometimes right, pain going to my back and shoulder of my left side. This all started about a month ago, around when I also had a bit of a nervous breakdown (my anxiety hasn't been controlled, and hopefully will be soon enough with therapy and meds again) as well as that UTI I mentioned. The cramps down the left side I have been having are likely UTI-related, but who knows? I noticed I've been getting 'clogged up' with constipation and never had that issue before when this all started a month ago, but benefiber seems to have started to help with that, and I've been passing stool and gas fine (sometimes the stool is soft, but more often than not it's normal stool). Yesterday I found a small bump on my back on my waistline that's painful to the touch, which I went to a doctor about today (to make sure it wasn't my kidney, as my meds only focus on the bladder portion of a UTI), and he said it looked like just a muscle thing and to take tylenol for it. Could THAT be a sign of a hernia? Is maybe ALL this pain the cause of muscles? I don't know anymore.

I tell you one thing, if I start puking, it's back to the ER for me. I'm trying to keep a 'normal' diet, albeit a soft one, until I can talk to my surgeon. Thanks for letting me blow off a little steam here. I'm at my wits end and half expecting to die at any moment. 
jbird1972
on 5/3/12 3:10 pm - Cary, IL
Hi,
My name is Jules...to make a long story short (you can read my blog for more details), I have suffered with almost identical symptoms for the last 4 years.  I just wanted to assure you that you are not crazy no matter what, so don't have that self doubt at any time, period. I would be happy to talk with you, be hear to listen, and offer any support you may need, but you have to get to the bottom of this and fast before it spirals more out of control. I'll add you to my prayer list, and please keep us updated. 
Jules

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

Most Active