Pills feel stuck in esophagus. Anyone else have this problem??

sunshine1968
on 3/2/14 11:18 am

I had the duodenal switch surgery 3 months ago. I have been having problems with feeling like pills and sometimes food getting stuck in my esophagus.  When i swallow a capsule it feels like it gets stuck at the top of my esophagus. It's very uncomfortable. Do any of you know what could be causing this and what one can do to remedy it? Would be grateful for any input. 

CPA_Loser
on 4/7/14 8:26 am - WA

How large are the pills you are swallowing? I had RNY and my surgeon requires chewable pills - anything larger than the end of a pencil (eraser part) is not allowed to be swallowed. Maybe you are taking pills that are too large? 

56sunShine14
on 4/23/14 9:36 am

It would probably be good to make a habit of cutting your pills into halves or quarters.  The lap band is not the same as DS but both leave a pouch whick is not much room.  As a bandster, we also do not swallow anything larger than a pencil eraser.  I crush my pills or take chewables.

So sorry you had to find out the hard way.  To remedy....relax, SIP not swallow some warm beverage slowly to help it dissolve and go down.  Water will do the same but might take longer to make it dissolve.

lisaphillipsbuhl
on 5/16/16 9:23 pm - Maryville , TN 37801, Te

It wouldn't hurt to ask about a swallow test. I am pre surgery and just had to have one last Fridsy. It started out feeling like maybe a popcorn curnal was stuck in the back of my throat. Then it felt irritated when I would swallow. Lots os of thick drainage problems. Found out I am having esophageal spasms and GERD due to my CPAP being to high filling my stomach with air and opening the valve letting stomach acid move up my throat. I now have a possible stricture  and will have to do an endo to be sure what is going on.

Most Active