No Solid Food

December Rose B.
on 2/14/04 8:04 pm - Oneonta, Al
Hi, been reading your posts and I suppose I've had a pretty easy time of it, but I'm tired of eating pureed meat made into a soupy form. I use V8 juice with buillion to make it taste better. I eat Cottage cheese with yogurt and that's about the extent of what I can eat without throwing up and feeling awful. On my birthday, I spent it in the hospital, due to trying to eat a piece of meat. The endosocopy showed I had irritation around the opening and had to take meds for that. At 4 1/2 months out, loss of 63 lbs, I think I should be able to eat salads, meats, etc. But not so. I tried to eat some noodles the other day and was sick for 3 hours. I think they may need to stretch the opening some. I actually have to force myself to throw back up everything if I don't eat the soup, etc. Everything just sits there at the top and never goes down. Also, I had a Anemic problem, but hopefully that is gone as I began eating a lot of red meat in the soups I prepare. I have read in some of your posts where you have had the same problems with trying to eat regular food. thanks for letting me vent. Eve
rdivine
on 2/25/04 10:37 am - Longmont, CO
Eve, I am sorry to hear about what you have been going through. I was just wondering what the symptoms were that landed you in the hospital from the piece of meat. I am almost 6 weeks out and have been doing so well with no problems except a bit of nausea here and there. The other night, I had some chicken and definitley ate a little too much. Within a few hours, I was having acute abdominal pain that reached into my back. I was shivering from the pain. The ER tested urine and blood and took xrays and found nothing. The ER doc thought it was "spasms" whatever that means and sent me home. I had a really rough night that was almost equal to the gallbladder attacks I suffered before having it removed years before. I called my surgeon the next morning and by then was feeling only nauseas and sore. The docs nurse agreed with the ER doc and said as long as it didn't get worse to just go back to liquids for 3 days, then 3 days of purees followed by a week of soft foods before trying normal foods again. She said if it got worse, I would need a CT scan. Well it is 2 days later and I feel mostly only sore but just wondering if anyone else has experienced it and did it go away for good??? Rachel
Berthenia F.
on 3/4/04 3:48 am - Decatur, GA
Hi, December My name is Bert. I have surgery 8/03 and still cannot eat solid foods. My dr told me I had a "leak" and they are still trying to resolve the issue. I was on iv for 2-3 months and could not have anything by mouth. I have an appointment on wed to see if my opening is large enough for solid foods to pass thru. Will update you afterwards.
kydoll
on 3/18/04 2:20 am - Louisville, KY
Hi-- I'm 19 months out from my original surgery and haven't been able to eat anything resembling normal since April of last year. My entire diet consists of Syntrax Nectar, cottage cheese and cheese slices. Occasionally, I can take a bite of something else, as long as I realize that I will end up over the toilet within hours of eating whatever it is. I had a marginal ulcer that perforated thru to my pancreas and resulted in the removal of 8 inches of bowel about 6 months after my original surgery. Although I am ideal as far as my weight is considered now (138-140), my doctor wants me to gain a few pounds. I just found out last week that my ulcer is back which is extremely depressing as I know what lies ahead if medication doesn't clear it up. I hope you have much better luck than I have. Although I'm thrilled to be 'normal' sized now (weight on day of surgery was 270), I hate the way I feel all the time with nausea and belly pain. It simply isn't worth it. Regards, Lori McLaughlin
Noni A.
on 5/23/04 2:36 am - Arlington, TX
Did you have the Lap-Band procedure? If you are having this many problems why don't you have it removed? I am considering the surgery and thought it was easily removed if there were problems. Just trying to understand before I take the plunge.
kydoll
on 5/23/04 4:31 am - Louisville, KY
Hi Noni-- No, I had an open rny. Now I am also extremely anemic, and am seriously considering a reversal. I was healthier when I was 270 than I am now. Best, Lori
Most Active