Long Term Post-Op w/anemia

Kath442
on 1/19/05 2:03 am - Punxsutawney, PA
I have two weeks to get my iron up or I have to get an iron IV, anyone else ever had that? I hear they are painful, did I hear right?
erron1570
on 1/19/05 7:10 am
Iron shots are VERY painful, the IV is better. Good Luck
nlwood60
on 1/25/05 10:13 pm - Linton, IN
I had to have iron IV's after my surgery because of blood loss. Its not painful, just the putting in of the IV like it would be for anything. Mine took about an hour to run thru the IV so take a book! Good luck
Kath442
on 1/26/05 12:14 am - Punxsutawney, PA
Thanks for your reply. I go tomorrow afternoon to see my fate! How long after the IV did you feel better? I'd like to have the IV, I don't like looking like a ghost and feeling tired ALL the time. Have a good one!
Shawnie S.
on 1/26/05 2:18 am - Dallas, OR
I have had serious anmeia problems since I had my surgery in July 2002. The doctor started giving me iron injections (Z-track) in the top of my butt/hips area. The shots were not that painful, but they left permanent staining of my skin. It looks like I have a black/dark blue large bruise there all the time...and it still is a tiny bit tender there even though I haven't had an injection for over a year. When I had my 5th child by c-section, a year after my surgery...I had to have 2 blood transfusions because my hemoglobin dropped below a 3.0. Which is critical. They started to infuse me with iron through an IV and I stopped breathing and went into anaphylactic shock. They had to perform CPR and give me Bendryl and other stuff to bring me back. It was terrible! I was allergic to something that they suspended the iron in I guess. Now...I get about 1 blood transfusion a month. That is no fun. It takes about 4 hours for each unit to go into you and it isn't very comfortable, because they have to use a pretty large needle. Really though...the injections are not too terrible...just the staining...and it can make your bones hurt a bit for a few weeks following one. They just ache a little because your bones are producing marrow I guess. I am not too sure....well...good luck. I hope your experience goes better than mine and that your iron goes up to normal. **God Bless**
nlwood60
on 1/26/05 9:30 pm - Linton, IN
Shawnie, That sounds like a lot of transfusions! Has your dr. tried the Procrit shots? Its supposed to help you build up your own red blood cells. Works great! Its used on a lot of cancer patients who are undergoing chemo therapy and lose their red blood cells. I had some shots after my blood loss in the hospital and at home, along with the iron iv's. It has kept many many people from having to have transfusions. Check it out, see if its something they can do for you! Good luck!!
SandiBeach
on 1/26/05 4:10 am - Northwest USA
Hi, I also have very low iron, and have needed iron infusions. I tryed the z shots, ouch! My doctor used an IV push called sucrose venofer iron. It is great , they can do it in the office, has smaller side effects, no black marks, no pain, and high results. You can look it up on the internet, you doctor may not even know about this product, it is great! You dont have to go to the hospital to have it done either. I needed 3 total, and now I am good. I wish you all the best- From another long term post-op!
Kath442
on 1/30/05 3:23 am - Punxsutawney, PA
Just an update. My hemotologist prescribed three ferrous sulfate pills a day to see how I would react. I took them religiously, began eating foods high in iron (like co-co wheats, cream of wheat, etc.) and when I got tested on Thursday my iron count had gone from 8.3 to a 9.7! I was up 1.5 points so I was SUPER excited. I go back in one month to see if I can increase it even more before I begin iron IV's three times a week. I'm very happy I responded to the medication and food. The doctor didn't think that eating certain types of food would help but I'm still going to keep it up... you never know, it could have helped ALOT. Oh, and I also saw a few "new hairs" on my head so maybe I'm finally heading in a positive direction. Thanks for all *****sponded to my post. Kathy Pytel
emmalousmom
on 2/4/05 10:39 am - Wawa, Canada
PhytoPharmica Vitamin B-12 Capsules - 90 Softgels CAD16.99 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Designed to build the blood without causing the side-effects of iron supplements. Contains liquid liver extract and Siberian ginseng to build stamina, strength and endurance. Useful for those suffering from fatigue and anemia. Vitamin B12 - 100 mcg. liquid liver fractions - 550 mg. (equivalent of 11,000 mg. of raw liver) standardized Siberian Ginseng - 25 mg. easy-to-swallow soft gel capsules well-tolerated, suitable for long-term use 2-6 capsules daily for therapeutic use only I found this vitamin, never tried it but I wonder if it would help. Louise
Lalocaweta
on 2/9/05 10:39 am - Spicewood, TX
Kathy: I too have anemia...One thing I learned from my doctor that I did not know - is that you need to take your vitamins with food!!!I was taking them like clockwork every morning after I brushed my teeth... Only to be told vitamins have to have food to "bond" to.... I have been given 3 months to get my iron up - I have to do the 3 ferrous sulfate and prenatal vitamin....Not fun...But the iron IV sounds much worse! Good luck. Anne (what iron rich foods have you found that you can tolerate? I am still working on that one.)
Most Active