Frustrated- still have type two diabetes

ginabob1
on 2/8/09 1:12 pm - Modesto, CA

I am having a hard time understanding why i am in the percentage of people whose diabetes does not stop after RNY.

Before surgery I was 294 (5'4) (Been diabetic for 8 years with no insulin) and on Actos plus metformin 15/850 mg 1 tab am and 2 tab pm,
10 mcg of Byetta twice a day and amaryl. I left the Hospital only on Metformin and my Diabetes became out of control.   I was put back on everything but the amaryl.  As far as my weight, I am doing very well.  I am 5 months out and have lost a total of 90 lbs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or know of any research that involves people whose Diabetes is not cured after RNY.

Thanks,
Gina

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/09 11:26 pm, edited 2/8/09 11:27 pm - Woodbridge, VA
IMO, with the RNY, it's a bit of a crapshoot. I say this because even for the large number of people who do see remission immediately after surgery, I have seen some complaining that their diabetes has returned months or 1+ year out even when they haven't regained weight.

Was your diabetes well controlled prior to surgery? Did you have your insulin production checked? Are you now eating very low carb? Are you on any other medications? Do you have any other illnesses or infections?
ginabob1
on 2/10/09 5:30 am, edited 2/10/09 5:35 am - Modesto, CA
Before Surgery my fasting bs was usually in the 160's.  No I have not had my insulin production checked.  My doctor has never mentioned this to me. Yes I am eating a low carb diet.  I am at a stage where I am just eating protein and what ever carbs are in the fruits & veggies I am allowed
Other Medications that I am on are Zocor, effexor and Vitamins.  I had never had high cholesterol until I became diabetic.  I have no other illness or infections.  I was hospitalized in January for a blood clot in my Jugular vein.  in December I had a kidney stone blast (forgot the name of the procedure)  I did forget to mention (which might be playing a role) I had Breast cancer in 2000. I had a mastectomy and chemo therapy for a year. Could the chemo of damaged my pancreas???????

Gina

FernTate
on 2/9/09 3:08 am
I'm wondering if you aren't maybe a type I as well?  I am both, and tho my type 2 is gone (no more insulin resistance), I will always be a type 1.  Also, tho you're losing weight, how is your carb intake?  Nothing white?  Low carb?  Hard, I  know.  Many disappointments for me after RNY as well.  Best of luck. 
ginabob1
on 2/10/09 5:32 am - Modesto, CA
I did not know that you could be both types.  The only carbs I intake is what is allowed in my veggies and fruits

Thanks
Gina

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/09 9:12 am - Woodbridge, VA
You can have both types, but if you're not on insulin, I doubt you are also a type 1.
cleos_mom
on 2/9/09 9:40 am - phila., PA
Hi Gina
 I understand your frustration. I had WLS to get rid of my diabetes type 2 for 22 years. I was taking 45mg Actos, 10mg Glyburide 2x a day, 1000mg metformin 2 x  day.
I came home on no meds when I was on clear liqs my BS was under 100 every day I was so happy I cried. when I started full liq it started to climb by the time I was on regular food it was 200
fasting. I started taking Januvia and my BS were getting better I am was 270 and I am now 179 and still taking Januvia my RNY was done June 2007. I recently had a hysterectomy & abdominoplasty in December 2008 and now my BS run around 150 since I had surgery, before that they were around 100 to 115, They tell me it is the stress from surgery.
I watch my carb intake . I eat nothing white. I can't eat rice, I don't eat potatoes, I do eat pasta, I eat DREAMFIELDS it only has 5gm net carbs in a serving and I don't even eat 1/2 serving.Before WLS I ate that and it never thru my BS up. I was so disappointed another thing is when I had my abdominoplasty the PS took off 8lbs of belly fat and I thought that would make my BS better but it hasn't yet.
I am still better off today then I was 20 months ago,back then on a good day with all that medication my BS was  around 300 my PCP wanted to put me on insulin and I refused. On days when I excercise my BS is better. I feel so good on the Januvia after WLS the metformin didnt
work for me.
I was so upset about my diabetes but I guess for me it is better that I still have it because I have to watch myself more closely with what I eat and I have to watch my carbs closely and I have never experimented with myself to see if I can tolerate any sugar I just tell myself it will make me dump. Not everyone dumps when they eat sugar especially when you are 2 years out they say you can tolerate more sugar then in the beginning. So far I have never tried sugar because I don't want to know and I eat less carbs in a day now. then I used to eat in 1 meal so it is frustrating.
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/09 3:49 am - Canada
I read an article about a small percent with T2 who's remission didn't happen right away or not at all.  I would go see your dr who treats your diabetes about redoing lab work and reassessing medication
Mary Catherine
on 2/10/09 7:50 am
My primary care physician said that some people cannot beat their genes.  There is a lot of diabetes on both sides of my family and I did not go into remission either.  I know one person who was on two types of insulin and always 500 anyway.  The day after surgery her blood sugar was normal and has stayed that way for years.
Beth K.
on 2/12/09 1:01 am - Finksburg, MD
Gina,

You were on a lot of meds for your type 2 and if your fasting was only 160 and not lower your diabetes was not well controlled. I was diabetic and on a few pills a day: Janumet; byetta; metformin..never actos because of the issues surrounding that medicine..it can cause heart problems..etc..look it up...

So here is my humble suggestion. I firmly believe in a program called the pH Miracle. I don't always live it myself and right now I am struggling with my water and vitamins but I know it can cure diabetes especially type 2. Basically you become a vegetarian; forget the fruits unless they are low acid or alkalizing as the term goes.

grapefruits, avocados, things like that...you could google alkalizing fruits..

basically it is an acid/alkaline balance issue...

you may not have ever heard of it before but it works. I had signs of cervical cancer and prior to surgery I asked for six months. I did the program and the abnormal paps became normal again.

www.phmiracleliving.com

Drink a lot of water
Eat a lot of veggies
Eat more fish than meat

Hugs, Beth

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/vsgswith150ormoretogo/welcome/
46 lbs lost pre-op www.phmiracleliving.com Eat Healthy to Stay Healthy
    www.shrinkyourself.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 166 views