Who left hospital with NO diabetes post RNY

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/09 12:26 am - Woodbridge, VA
I will say I am definitely not cured yet. However, I also didn't get a "real" DS. Due to adhesions from a prior surgery (says the surgeon - there are other theories I won't go into here), he was unable to give me the usual 100cm common channel, so I have a VERY long common channel for a DSer. He still gave me the sleeve instead of a RNY pouch, but my common channel is likely closer to 350cm than 100cm. Since there is a "hindgut" theory as to why the DS may work so well for type 2, and my surgeon certainly didn't touch my hindgut at all, this may have something to do with my diabetes being slow to resolve.

That said, though not fully resolved, my diabetes has definitely improved. The morning of surgery, my fasting glucose was 183. There were even mornings where my fasting was over 200. Now, I am usually in the 100-120 range with a few funky days here and there hitting around 130-160.

My numbers throughout the day are almost always below 140, usually below 120. Of course, I'm getting hit with a cold right now, so everything's thrown off, but my A1C prior to surgery was 8.1 and was down to 7.2 last week. And I am now taking 500mg metformin twice per day, whereas I was taking much more prior to surgery.
dasongbirdt
on 10/4/09 10:39 am - Dallas, TX
I have to disagree as well.  I know several people personally who have been able to get rid of diabetes (i.e. no meds, eat sugar, etc.) after weight loss surgery.  It depends on what type of diabetes you are diagnosed with.  Most people who have adult onset diabetes are able to get rid of it through WLS.  So, there is hope for those with this disease.
314 highest  / 270 surgery / 196 cw / 149 goal 

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/09 5:10 am - Ashland, MA
I thought just like you.  I just wanted my BSL to be normal.  It has not happened for me YET!

I went into the hospital taking oral medication for diabetes and came out taking insulin.  I am one month out and still have to take insulin as my BSL is still high.  I have lost weight and hope that as I continue to loose weight they will keep going down and I will eventually be in remission.

Sorry for the bad news but it doesn't happen to everyone. 
tillmacc
on 4/27/09 5:30 am - Antioch, TN
Thanks everyone for your input. I do want you to know that I have other reasons for wanting to have WLS:
1. Comorbidities that will definitely improve as I have already seen an improvement in these with my preop weight loss. (Diabetes, Arthritis, Hypertension.

2. Reducing my risk of complications from the above comorbidities and others for which I am a candidate for as long as I am carrying the excess weight.

3. Feeling Better - not being winded from short brisk walks, not breaking out in a sweat everytime I go to Walmart from the walking and excess weight

4. Looking better
MsBatt
on 9/26/09 2:55 pm
Do you take NSAIDs for your arthritis? If so, that's yet another reason to choose the DS over the RNY.
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/09 10:53 pm - Woodbridge, VA
psst...she already had her RNY (from a surgeon who also does the DS!).
Xenia
on 4/28/09 2:33 pm - Xenia, OH
My understanding is that remmission of diabetes is a function of residual pancreatic function which is generally measured by the amount of C-Peptides produced by the pancreas.  The scale for type II diabetics is .5 to 14.  Below .5 is usually considered insulin dependent and is the criteria used by some to justify an insulin pump.  One surgeon I talked to said that they generally expect remmission if the c-peptide is above 3.5 and it is quite iffy if below that mark.  Unfortunately mine was only .7 so I knew that I was only trying to significantly improve my control.  The surgeon did say that he has seen function rebound insome patients but that was not the norm.  I will say that I am five weeks post op and only had one reading in the 160's in that time and that is without the 490 units of lantus i was taking pre-surgery.

Height 6'0" HW Ever -294, Consult W - 280, SW 272, LW 191.6, CW 192.8
EOD WIFE
on 5/9/09 10:21 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
I had open RNY on 5-5 and have not been on my meds for diabetes since. My BS lastnight was 79 and 58 this am. I am hoping to not have to go back on any meds for it or the HBP. I guess time will really tell if it is in remission. 

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

annette1957
on 5/11/09 2:01 pm - Sherman, TX
i have been a diabetic for 15 years and on insulin the last 12. I had been taking insulin that is 5 times stronger than regular-U500 insulin and I was taking 80units a day that is equal to 400units of reg insulin. I left the hospital without any diabetes meds. Then after a month BS in the AM increased and doc told me to go on regular insulin. 5 units AM and PM. Then doc took me off of insulin completely after 3 months and put me on 2 oral diabetic meds. But Metformin gave me terrieble diarrhea, so I got off of that and now and just taking one oral medicene and my sugars are staying under 160 most of the time. I really have to watch the carbs! But I am now 72lbs off and feel like a new person! I kid you not! I am off of BP meds, cholestrol meds, asthma meds. I was on 12 meds and now take 4. But the wonderful thing is how energetic I feel! The diabetes made me so tired and I have pinched nerves in my back and neck from bone spurs and could not walk -had to ride a cart or wheel chair most of the time. Now I have very little pain and I feel like I have rolled 15 years off- I would do it again in a heartbeat. IT is still a lot of work, you are still hungry and you can mess it up if you don't follow drs orders but you have this wonderful tool that is there to help you and keep you strong. I LOVE MY RNY!
If we don’t put our efforts into creating what we want, then we have to put our efforts into coping with what we get!  

HW: 277/ CW: 170/ GW: 157 Exercise goal: 4x a week.

tillmacc
on 5/11/09 11:35 pm - Antioch, TN
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views