Lowering my A1C

zephyr1975
on 12/19/13 10:59 pm
RNY on 01/27/15

I have my pre-surgery testing in about a month. I'm afraid my A1C will be too high for them to do the surgery on the scheduled date as the past while I have been a bit lax with my meds.

If i am very strict on my meds from now till the testing date how much will that affect my A1C? I know red blood cells are good for about 3 months. Would something like giving blood change anything as well? I would hate to have my Surgery canceled for another 3 months. I am having R-n-y Jan 27th, 2014

Thank you!

Mimisocks
on 12/21/13 5:59 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Hi,

I wouldn't stress too much about it.  My surgeon had me stop Metformin 3 days before my surgery and I haven't been on it since.  More times than not, RNY surgery puts you into remission for diabetes.  How long that state will last depends on the individual, but a break for 5 yrs, 10 yrs or life is better for the pancreas.

My a1C post-op has been normal and my bs are in the 80's now, without meds.  I was told if I stay symptom-free for 5+ yrs, then I am considered "cured" of diabetes.

Depending on how long you have been diagnosed with DM, you may have the same results as I and many others on this site have experienced - no meds for diabetes post-op!

All the best to you for a successful surgery and recovery!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Mary Catherine
on 12/28/13 1:55 am

Being diligent about your meds and about your diet will have a positive effect on your A1C before surgery.  My surgery would have been postponed if I was too high on a finger stick the morning of surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 159 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 488 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 830 views