Pre-op type 2...having a hard time losing.

Shari M.
on 10/21/04 4:23 pm - Wildomar, CA
Hello everyone. I was glad to find this board, but sad to see so few posts. I am hoping someone out there can help me along here. I have type 2 and my last a1c was 6.9....in the normal range. I take metformin 3x850mg and glyburide 2x10mg daily. My problem is that my daily readings are high. I average 200-260 on both morning and during the day readings. I am on a 1200 calorie diabetic diet for weight loss...as I have to lose 39 pounds prior to surgery. I also work out at the gym 4-5 days a week. I have lost 15 pounds, but I feel that the weight is hanging on because my sugars are high. I was wondering what else I can do to drop my sugars to help me lose weight. Do I need to try to get different meds? Lord knows I exercise hard enough and eat a balanced diet. I guess I am just frustrated. I was also diagnosed pcos recently, so maybe that is contributing to my resistance to weight loss. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Shari
nefish
on 10/24/04 9:10 am - Rockport, TX
Shari, I don't know how soon you are expecting to have surgery but I know where you are coming from first cut everything white from your diet anything made with white flour, white sugar, cut out all pasta, rice, potatoes, breads, cut out caffeine, caffeine makes you crave carbs. I had 2 1/2 weeks from my consult til my surgery date and managed to lose 13 lbs my surgeon has us do this mostly to shrink the liver making the surgery easier to perform but less carbs will also lower your sugars. I was on 2000 mgs of glucophage, 45 mgs of actos and 100 units of insulin a day on the day of surgery the left the hospital on 1000 mgs of glucophage a day, 8 weeks after surgery I was taken off all diabetes meds and at 6 months my a1c levels were 5.7 so hang in there it will get better. Nancy
Shari M.
on 10/24/04 2:52 pm - Wildomar, CA
Nancy~ Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. The wierd thing is that my a1c levels are at 6.9, but my daily readings are 220-260. I am thinking that I might need additional medication to get my sugars in balance. When I did atkins they were still 160-180. I am going to try one more week of the 1200 calorie diet, but substitute one meal for a protein supplement. If that doesn't work I will take your advice. Thanks again!
nefish
on 10/24/04 11:48 pm - Rockport, TX
Shari, Your PCOS will make you run higher blood sugars with lower a1c's that is the insulin resistance part of the disease. But any carbs right now will turn slow down the weight loss as you are getting ready for surgery. When you have PCOS your body treats a traditional diabetes diet different it really doesn't need the carbs except for the ones you might get from like beans, the same type you will be getting after surgery. I have battled PCOS for over 20 years and had to learn the hard way that certain foods make the condition worse along with some medications. Nancy
sp_quilter
on 11/4/04 12:49 pm - Hyannis, MA
Shari It may be that your meds have to be adjusted. Maybe talk to a dr. and a Dietitian - remember that your body is still making insulin and your med might be giving out too much since you say you are really following the diet and working out. I would start a daily diary of what you put in your mouth (everything) and what you do to work out and how long and bring it with you. It is possible that you meds will be adusted. And test your sugars more often - fasting - 2 hours after meals, before meals, and at bedtime - just for a week - this will show more specifically what your meds and what you are eating effects your sugars. That is just my suggestion. I know from experience that they like to see things all written down. Good luck. Suzanne
Shari M.
on 11/4/04 1:27 pm - Wildomar, CA
Suzanne~ Thanks for your response. Last week I gained 3 pounds on the previously mentioned regimin. I just cried in front of the doctor and the nutritionalist. We went over my food journals and exercise regimin and my blood sugar records. I was referred to a doctor and will be switching to insulin tomorrow...well weaning off orals and on to insulin. I will see my regular pcp on monday to do a follow up. I am sure my high blood sugars are affecting my ability to lose weight. The pcos is being stubborn as well. I am just saying some extra prayers that this will be what I need to jump start my system and that it doesn't take long on the insulin with my diet and exercise to get normal readings. Thanks for your concern...and I will post an update later. Shari
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 160 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 489 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 831 views