Do You Know A Good LB to DS Revision Surgeon In Arizona; Or, If I Can't Get Insurance,...

Dionysus
on 4/21/11 2:23 am

Do You Know A Good LB to DS Revision Surgeon In Arizona; Or, If I Can’t Get Insurance, Anywhere?

I am hoping to be able to change to an insurance company that will allow revisions during my next “open enrollment”.  I will have to check the policies carefully at that time, because it is my understanding that policies can change from year to year.  If, by chance, I have no option for an insurance company that will allow revisions, then do you know the name of the best doctor I could use that has the best reputation for success at a reasonable price?  I do have enough resources to cover follow-up maintenance with the DS, but I don’t have a large chunk of cash sitting around to cover the initial surgery 100% with no insurance.

Oh, BTW, there is a member that is in a similar situation as me with looking into a LB to DS revision, except she has insurance.  She seems like a nice person, and I was wondering if you guys could help her:

Shanae1's Profile
[report this avatar]
I'll tell her I asked you to help her.  Thank you all.  
zuzupetals2u2
on 4/21/11 2:39 am - Sedona, AZ
there is a list of surgeons on dsfacts.com and that should be your starting point

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Dionysus
on 4/21/11 3:36 am

Thank you, I have been to dsfacts.com a couple of times per the recommendation of some very helpful DS'ers.  Great idea.  I was hoping to also get some more first-hand stories of good experiences from people that may have been in a situation similar to mine.

Bookmark and Share

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 3:04 am
 I don't think there is surgeon in Arizona that does even the DS. California or Texas would be your best bet I think. Dr. Steward in Texas sounded reasonable, naturally the ones in California will be more expensive. 

So if you have to be self pay have you thought of going out of Country? Like Mexico, Dr. Ungson or Brazil, Dr. Marchesini. Their prices are even better, because they don't go by the inflated prices here in the States. 

Good Luck
Dionysus
on 4/21/11 3:45 am

Thank you!  I have thought about going out of country, but am still researching the pros and cons of such a move.  I wonder what the best way is to compare various surgeons across international borders, and if there are additional valid concerns that enter the equation vs. using a surgeon in The States?  Which surgeon do you think has the best over-all stats and reputation in the entire US for DS surgeries completed?

Elizabeth N.
on 4/21/11 6:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
There are no good DS surgeon options in AZ. None. If you're even remotely considering Dr. Husted, look up Lorrilee's story (I think I spelled that right). Don't use him. Just don't.

If you are in AZ, your best cash option is going to be Dr. Ungson in Mexico, and that is every bit as good an option as any in the USA. Do NOT use any other Mexico surgeon, no matter what kind of persuasive spiel you might get via PM for having posted this question.

If you get insurance coverage, I'd go to Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Stewart from that part of the country. Or maybe Dr. Simper in Salt Lake.
Dionysus
on 4/21/11 9:23 am
Thank you, Elizabeth!  You have given me a wealth of information and an important road map of where to start looking for my particular situation.  Thank you very much.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/21/11 3:40 am - Tuvalu

You closest really experienced revision guy is, I think, Keshishian in Glendale, CA.
Dionysus
on 4/21/11 3:50 am
Thank you!  I will definitely check Keshishian out. 
LaShelle2
on 4/21/11 3:41 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Just wanted to give you some advice. There is a DS surgeon that recently moved to AZ that has a pretty bad reputation on OH. 

Make sure you ask questions about there history. Like how many hospitals have you worked out of the last 10 years? How long do you plan on living here before they run you out of this hospital too? How many complications do your patients have?  How hard is it gonna be to find you when I need follow up care?  :-)

All DS surgeons are not created equally!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 695 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1013 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 340 views