Today is my SURGIVERSARY!!! Pics included!

Piliper
on 5/3/11 12:04 pm, edited 5/4/11 5:32 am
 WOW! I know how cliche it is, but I cannot believe a year has passed since my surgery. Simply amazing...

At this exact hour a year ago I was waking up from my surgery. I realized it was very late and Dr. Kemmeter was there waiting to talk with me. There were some major issues with my gallbladder that complicated the surgery due to a massive amount of scar tissue. I was just waiting to hear the bad news that they only got the sleeve portion done. But.. Dr. K let me know that after 6+ hours they had completed the full DS. I was thrilled, despite all of my pain and general wooziness.

The next few days at the hospital weren't bad, but they weren't fun. The gas pains were horrendous and I couldn't stand the taste of the protein served in thimble sized cups. Lots of walking. Lots of gas. That's about all I remember. The next week at home was up and down. On my first full day home I thought I had made a mistake. Mark down that moment, because that was the only time in one year I've ever questioned my DS. I was sick, tons of diarhea and nausea. It was a really bad day. But, it got better.

I spent the next 3 months getting to know my new stomach and body. Heartburn and reflux like I'd never had before. I finally gave Zegerid a try and have never looked back. It was a life-saver. I couldn't believe how much I could eat just a month out. I was really hitting my stride. However, I very quickly learned that I was not going to be one of those people who could handle carbs. I couldn't and still can't. Carbs destroy me and I don't even try them anymore. I have a huge aversion.

In the picture below you'll see me in scrubs holding a baby. That's my son. He was born on April 1, 2010. We just celebrated his first birthday last month and I as I reflected on his first year for us I realized that my surgery was never for me, but always for him. My wife was 6 months pregnant when I first investigated bariatric surgery and went to the seminar where I found out about the DS after having my heart set on the RNY. I was miserable and hated who I had become. I remember thinking that enough was enough and that my son wasn't going to have to put up with the embarrassing fat dad at his baseball games and school events. I'd be able to play with him and chase him around the yard. I'd be there in 10 years when I turned 40.... it was always for him. It still is.

So, now the basic facts. I was 383 lbs in the picture below just one month before my surgery. Yesterday I weighed in at 159 lbs. So, in one year I have lost 224 lbs. I went from a size 58 pants to a 32. XXXXL shirt to a Small. I had a dentist appointment today and my blood pressure was normal or just below. I don't snore or have sleep apnea anymore. I run, play with my son, lift weights, etc. There's nothing physically standing in my way anymore. The plague is gone and I'm free from its burden. Life is good. 

You've heard it, but I'll say it again. If you're thinking about getting the DS, do it. You'll never regret it! 

Photobucket

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

hopingintx
on 5/3/11 12:10 pm

Wow, 

I love reading this.  Congratulations on all the good things in your new life. 
Nancy            
Piliper
on 5/3/11 12:13 pm
 Thanks! I owe so much to this board.

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

princesspopnfresh2
on 5/3/11 12:23 pm
Your success is amazing. Congratulations.

Hw 348/sw 306/  
teachmid
on 5/3/11 12:29 pm - OKC, OK
Congratulations! What a life change for you.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

elixir
on 5/3/11 12:34 pm - MI
 Inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

pycca
on 5/3/11 12:43 pm - Haslet, TX
AWESOME !!!! you look great!! good job..

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/11 1:07 pm
 Overwhelming success!  Happy surgiversary!  You look very healthy and happy!  I'd never know from your after picture that you were ever overweight much less SMO.  Congratulations!
geutenmorgan
on 5/3/11 1:12 pm
wow, you look great! Such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
CharleeG
on 5/3/11 1:15 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Congratulations! You look so happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 679 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views